HybridZ

General Turbo questions

mobythevan

I need to dig out my maximum boost book again but I had a couple questions about using turbos on an engine that gets worked a lot. I would like to turbo a chevy V8 for my pickup truck, but it gets used for towing a lot and I live in Colorado so we have some pretty good hills to climb. My concerns are the turbos overheating of course. It seemed like you would want to run pyrometers like a Semi truck and just keep an eye on the heat being built. I know a few guys that drive diesel Semi trucks and they say you cannot stay into the turbo on them going up hills, you have to back out some when the pyrometer climbs to around 1150 degrees. I was wondering if a guy only builds 7psi of boost in a pickup and the temp starts climbing will you have to back all the way out or only back to like 5psi boost. I guess a lot will depend on the turbo cooling options with the turbos being used. What if you used old technology turbos that are only oil cooled? Just looking for some thought from other people and maybe someone on here has used turbos on a gas engine in a truck like this before.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Well on the slate for me is a turbocharged 4.9 Ford F150 for pulling. The way I belive your gonna keep your truck from burning up is proper turbine selection. Using a water cooled center section is not gonna effect the operating temp much belive it or not, I am going to invest in oil coolers and in most cases I think thats enough. Back to the turbine, if you expect long hauls under boost go with a large exhaust housing and flowing wheel with ample exhaust pipe size. My 4.9 plan is going to be a 60-1 P .84 that I already have assembled but I think by the time I am ready to go it will be a .96. Another aspect to my combination that I am hoping will work out is the cam shaft. I am targeting a max RPM of maybe 5500rpm out of this motor and hoping to make max torque in the area or 3800-4800rpm. I could give you any cam spec's because I haven't even looked in a catalog, way too far in the future for that. But I belive a slow "hi torque" engine speed and proper hi flowing exhaust manifold and turbine design is gonna keep this thing from burning up. I know your working on a megasquirt system and something like may help you keep a safe tune in the truck, that goes far. I'm for sure gonna run a Microtech on my truck and a intercooler with lots of area to keep the charge temps low. So my tip custom grind a cam or find one that screams you, go large on the exhaust sizing and everything else you already know. Good luck.