HybridZ

Caliper spacer pic from my new drill press

Guest 73TPIZ

Guest 73TPIZ

I got a new large drill press and bandsaw this week and thought i'd tackle the spacers i need for my '86 hubs i just bought. i chopped off what i could and set it on the drill press sort like a lathe. turned out pretty good. a couple of small flat spots from the bandsaw but they shouldn't vibrate as they are light and so close the center. if i were to do it again i'd let my buddy do them at his machine shop but i bolted on my 5-lug draglites last night and man am i stoked. SEZS here i come.

BTW i knew the hubs would sit .75" further out than my S30's. turns out the used draglites i bought for the front have .75" more backspacing. Sweet.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2700

Guest 73TPIZ

Hey Terry,

The pic is the first one where i used a side grinder as it turned. Messy but got the job done. For the next one i clamped a piece of angle iron to the table at a angle to the alum as close as possible and took my flat 1" wide wood chisel and just carved it as you would a table leg on a lathe. very nice alum shavings coming off. not as messy and much better and quicker job.

for the centers i did it the old fashioned way. 30+ holes drilled around the perimeter, a hole saw to cut out the plug, die grinder to get me close, then side grinder wheel cut down to correct diameter, rigged to the drill press and passed through to finish the hole. Whew.

neat to say i did it myself, but my buddy just bought a $32K milling machine so i'll take the next set to him and watch him cut them in 30 min.

Hey, I made my wheel spacers the same way. Mine are only 1/8" thick though, much easier. I cut them out with a jig saw, chucked them up in the drill press, and used a flat bastard (don't giggle you adolescent delinquents) file to true the o.d. Then I just used a hole saw for the center hole.

Great minds and all... eh? :D

Guest 73TPIZ

Hey Ross,

i did rig the poor mans gauge to check runout. I bolted the caliper bracket over the rotor and then clamped a screwdriver to it as close to rotor OD as possible and then spun it while "listening" for runout, if you know what i mean. couldn't find a screwdriver that read in ten-thousandths, only thousandths :D:D . The new rotor was dead nuts, the other i had turned but still had rust on the OD. it was a few thousandths out but not too bad. Coulda been the rotor but probably me. hopefully we'll see how she drives this weekend.

take care.

Hey Ross' date='

i did rig the poor mans gauge to check runout. I bolted the caliper bracket over the rotor and then clamped a screwdriver to it as close to rotor OD as possible and then spun it while "listening" for runout, if you know what i mean. couldn't find a screwdriver that read in ten-thousandths, only thousandths :D:D . The new rotor was dead nuts, the other i had turned but still had rust on the OD. it was a few thousandths out but not too bad. Coulda been the rotor but probably me. hopefully we'll see how she drives this weekend.

take care.[/quote']

Thanks for the reply and handy garage check if one's in a pinch:) I haven't seen a screwdriver that reads thousandths or fractions of thousandths either :D I was curious as I'll get inquiries from customers troubleshooting all sorts of issues with OE and home modified (ie. not my parts) including front wobbles/inconsistent pedal etc so understanding various tolerances (and influence) of other parts is quite useful.