HybridZ

Has anyone ever bypassed the Ignition relay,Fuel Relays etc

I have a 280Z and am trying to install a LT1, well studying the Z scmatic I find it a confussing mess. I would love to just remove the Ignition Transistor, fuel pump relay and the fuel pump control relay,

I would replace the fuel pump relay for safty but it would be nice to clean this up... Problem is that I think I would lose a lot if I just went and disconnected this harware.

Has anyone tryed it??

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I bypassed the ignition and fuel pump relays on my 260Z by making a short (3") jumper that connects the incoming hot wire for the ignition relay and connecting it to the wire coming out of the fuel pump relay that goes directly to the fuel pump. The jumper consists of two flat type male connectors and a piece of wire. They just plug right into the wiring harness and replace the two relays. It helps to have a readable wiring diagram to figure out which wires to connect but could be done by trial and error.

I did this because I couldn't get the relays to work with the V8 conversion.

Good luck!

The previous owner of my '77 bypassed the ignition relay, which forced him to run a hot wire off the ignition for the fuel pump. This ofcourse I didn't like and I'm now trying to get it back to stock.

The '77&'78 have a different relay then the '75&'76, but they do the same thing.

On my '77 there is but one plug-in for the relay( just like the '78 ). 6 wires. The previous owner put jumpers on each pair of wires. The middle set of wires are for the fuel pump relay. From what I can tell so far the pair closest to the front of the car( with the relay mounted ) is for the ignition.

I have found that doing this bypass is what has caused my cold start problems, because it also bypasses the thermotime switch, cold start injector and cold air sensor. All this doesn't help you, but I thought if someone did a search for "bypassing ignition relay" they would want to know what it would do, aswell as how to do it.

Yes... i have bypassed all relays, but only because i had to because the got burned up in a fire. Hotwiring those components i would strongly recomend not doing unless you like electrical fires. the whole point of a relay is to take the electrical load so that you don't burn up your switch or burn smaller gauge wires, etc. If you hotwire it you no longer have this safety feature and protection. I agree the 25 year old mess of wires on the Z is not very pretty, make your life easy... go to autozone or whatever car parts store you have, buy some 35 amp 5 prong relays (generic) and just wire in new relays. That way you have clean wires you understand.. and your saftey protection.

If you need any help just let me know... relays can be confusing at first.

-Ed