HybridZ

Smog on a 76 280z?

rustorbust

Ok i need a little help here? I have already done a search and didnt really find anything on what i am looking for. Im looking into buying a 76 280z that has been sitting for about 3 years. I went to look at it for the first time today and the battery in it was dead so i couldnt start it. (the guy told me that he had drove it 5 months ago just to make sure it still ran) It has the original fuel injected 6 cylinder with a 4 speed and everything visibly looks to be in pretty good shape. The car originally came from texas and some guy owned it that was int he military. He had taken all the smog stuff off of it which i dont even know what it had. There is a header on it now and it is a straight through exhaust with a single muffler, no cataletic converter. THere is no smog pump on it ( I dont know if it had one or not). I live in California and i not really up to date on smog laws and stuff. I know that 75 are now exempt. And im hoping by next year they will drop 76 off also. My question is, what am i going ot have to do to get it to smog? I know im gonna have to put a cat on it. Is it going to need a smog pump or air pump?

Any info will help!

James B.

The non-California 280Z's came with no air pump or catalytic converters. The California edition cars came with the catalytic converter but still no air pump. There is really not a lot of emissins control items on the 280Z. My '77 was a California model. I would suggest that you spring now for a Factory Service Manual - either hard copy or on CD. It will list the specific emissions equipment for your car in the California version and show how it is plumbed. I'd also start roaming some wrecking yards and picking those parts off the 280Z's that you can find. Not too many folks will be looking for emission control items so, if the engine is there, the emissions items should be too. They last a long time. I only replaced one of the original parts on my '77 in 25 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure there is a catalytic converter warning indicator on the center dash, across from the low fuel indicator. If the floor gets too hot, the light turns on. I have a non-california '76 and there's no indicator there, just a blank cutout for it. Thats the only superficial thing I can think of off the top of my head. There's other things, like the ignition system is slightly different, but I don't want to grab my manual to check.