HybridZ

302 heads

Guest mikegesselle

Guest mikegesselle

i am building a mid 70s 302 bored 30 over with a mild cam and a gear drive and i was wondering what the best stock heads would be to use.......i was told that i should get e7 heads.will these heads bolt right on with no valve relieves.......right now it just has heads from a 1972 i dont know what is better............any help would be appreciated

thanks

mike gesselle

Old timer here, but hopefully someone with more recent head knowledge will jump in. Your '72 heads will work fine for your application. I don't know the combustion chamber volume on yours, but I'm guessing it should give you an easy 9.2 to 1 CR. The 351W heads offered a slightly wider intake port on the earlier generation heads, but I don't know if this was true later into late '80s. If you're looking at spending a minimal amount of money (e.g. not buying any of the newer aluminum aftermarket heads), I'd stick with what you've got.

Guest kc280zx

I'm a friend of Kyles, one of the moderators over at stangnet.com (great place to stop by and ask questions). As far as stock heads to get, E7TE's suck on the exhaust side, thats stock heads for 87-95, not very good choice. As far as getting away without valve reliefs, you should be fine, even with a mild cam (e-303).

Follow these directions

goto http://www.dfwstangs.net

Search for GT40 iron heads in the parts section (5.0 parts go for KILLER prices on this site), you can pick up a set complete for normally around 300-450, and they flow much better than stock heads, and they have considerably larger valves. As far as the 72 heads, they most likely will not flow as well, HOWEVER, those year blocks are much stronger than newer blocks. Those heads were stock on the 93 cobras, and also on the 351 lightnings. If you happen to get the 351 heads, all you need to convert would be some shims which you can get for about 30-40 bucks from trickflow. The 351 engine is the same as the 302, except a bigger deck height, and 1/2" head bolts instead of the 302 7/16" head bolts (reason you need the shims). One other thing, which is rumored to flow even better than the GT40 irons are heads that come off of 97 up ford explorer V8's. They are GT40P's, which do not have thermactor bumps on the exhaust side which all these heads do, they suffer from a slightly smaller exhaust valve, but with the absence of the thermactor bumps, they make more power. However, if you remove the bumps on the GT40 iron heads, they will flow more.

Just giving you some cheap alternatives. You can pick up a set of trickflow aluminum heads (used) for about 800 bucks from that site.