HybridZ

Anyone know of an LT1 with a distributor?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

There is a guy http://www.lt1intake.com who is modifying LT1 intakes to work on older small blocks, and it seems to be a pretty popular swap for the TPI guys on thirdgen.org. It gave me an idea, though, for an LT1 swap. I am considering swapping an LT1 into a daily driven 3rd gen Trans Am with TPI (sorry this isn't related to the Z car, but it may help there too), and thought about converting the intake to accept a regular distributor. As many of you know the Optispark on LT1s can be its main problem area, and by going with a conventional distributor an expensive and hard to access source of trouble is eliminated. Normally I don't think the LT1 computer could be used with the distributor, but my plan on the Firebird was to reuse my original harness, go to a Haltech (they make a plug in version for these cars), and use accessories such as the TB designed for a TPI car (necessary since I'll be using the 700r4, and don't have a 93 LT1 tb). Everything else should bolt up, and I won't have to buy a harness or sort through and modify an original one. The tunability of the Haltech is going to be needed anyway with my combination.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of swap, or see any potential problems? If this works well, it may be used on my 240Z also (pushed back a little further than I would like right now!), though I'll have to modify the hood latch. TIA!

99928o.gif

this is what drives the oil pump on an LT1 , carefull machine work on the LT1 intake could at least in theory allow the old style distributor to work. now I would NOT go through the trouble because the engine can be modifyed to run the newer LS1 style ignition useing a crank damper magnetic pickup and individual coils fireing the plugs or a setup like this

http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi/projects/ddis/ddis1.htm

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/

yes, it can be done. GMPP's now discontinued LT4 crate motor came equipted with a carb manifold and the rear mounted distributer...rated at 375hp. GMPP sells a plate to block off the hole left when removing the opti-spark. Check out the web site for Pace chevrolet or GMPP [General Motors Performance Parts]. I've considered doing the same thingf and use my TPI computer and all other FI components on a LT1 engine. I'd sure like to know if anyone has any practical experience with this.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, guys. The machining issue with the manifold for a distributor won't be a problem, since the guy who is doing the converisons on the intake has worked out all the kinks on that end. While I may eventually upgrade to something similar to the LS1 setup, I really like the idea of a simple distributor that can be easily serviced anywhere in the country, and relatively cheaply...plus the fact that if I can use the TPI distributor, and the other EFI- related sensors and connections from the TPI, it will be an easy swap. I'm sort of surprised that no one on the third gen boards has done this...it almost sounds too easy. No aftermarket harness, and no hassles. I actually used to have one of the carbureted intakes for an LT1 (it was on a motor I bought from a guy who was going to put it in a 70 Nova). Like Grumpy showed, you just have to remove the shaft that drives the oil pump. I didn't know that GMPP made the Opti blockoff plates, but I'll look into that...if they're reasonbable, it will save me the time fabbing them. I'm deleting the cam driven water pump, too, and going electric so I can run a real double roller timing chain.