HybridZ

What you DON'T want to find in your oil pan.

Warren

Found this in the oil pan, been there for a while...it's 1 of 2 from #5 and #6...still haven't found the other one yet. Can you say "Time to rebuild the bottom end"? (The quarter came out of my pocket to use as a reference of size)

Anybody know where to find a new set of dished pistons for an F54 block?

album_pic.php?pic_id=2802

nothing like fishing chunks of skirt from your oil pan! 'cept maybe pulling chunks of bearing out of your transmission. or chunks of rod from your oil pan, lol! As far as the dish pistons, flatlander racing or RPMrons, i think they stock quite a bit of datsun stuff. may as well overbore this time around. If you cant find stock stuff, get Z22 pistons, 87mm stock, and use L24 con rods. it all works out the same, youd just get a wee better rod/stroke ratio, and you could go 88mm.

McAdam

Z22 pistons are out of what? is that the naps Z motor that is in the trucks and some 200sx's?

can a domestic piston be used? you can get forged piston sets for under 500 from summit for domestics.

mack is that changing the crank as well or running the stock crank? will there be a deck height issue to worry about?

best of all, is there a good site for all the questions i have? hahahahahhaha

it would be using a stock crankshaft because the Z22S pistons have a 35.5mm pin height, so 133mm + 35.5 + 39.5 = 208! .5mm + deck clearance. the pistons have a slight 9cc dish. so they would be decent for turbo apps. They came in the Z22S. and early Z22E's. The Z22S was the carb version that went into trucks before EFI. this is a great site for all things L and Z related!!

McAdam

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I couldn't see the pic for some reason but I have a idea on what a broken piston looks like. Forged is a good idea but why did the engine fall apart anyway? Someone has been boosting the hell out of a detonating motor it seems. Look into that when you get it on the road or you will be in for more of the same. Good luck.

I've only driven the car a total of 292 miles since purchasing it from a guy in Sarasota, FL and beginning the restoration... I've been real easy on the motor since I didn't know the condition of it to begin with. The skirt(s) pieces that I've removed from the pan had thick black gook caked up all over them and had obviously been in the pan for a while.

After having located 2 LD28 Cranks and already having the L28 Rods my search is now for a decent set (that means affordable..heheh) of LZ22S pistons. I've visited a couple of sites that say that this combination will make the motor 2960cc's and should work fine. I'd like to find "forged" pistons since aparently the pistons are the only "non-forged" part in the block other than bearings.

Just another "while I'm at it" (that usually means expensive) thing.

Anybody else running this combination that could give some advice one way or another?

UPDATE: I found "45" LZ22S pistons, at $47.90 each with rings and pins, unfortunately they're NOT forged. I just can't see throwing another $800 plus into this motor for forged pistons PLUS the overbore.

I realize that its still got to be bored from 86mm to 87mm to use the pistons but that's ok, since it'll be "stroked" this way. I just spent $450 on the head with all new valves, springs, seals, etc.

I'll give these a try and if they break, I'll do the forged routine in one of the spare engines I have in one of my parts cars.

Would still like input from others regarding this combo.