HybridZ

Experience with 144 B&M or Weiand blowers on sbc?

Hello again all, looking at the time involved in swapping my truck 383/Z 327 motors and components plus the price of the flywheel to match the 383 to a T5($320), I started to look at small superchargers as a possible alternative. The new Weiand 144 "teflon" will fit, but $2000 kept me only half interested. I just found out yesterday that a B&M 144 would fit under the scoop on my Z and the price on ebay is usually around $1,000 for a setup. I'm running a 327 with 9-9.5:1 comp. The power is about the same between my 383 and the blown 327 according to DD2000. Any experience or thoughts about these or Weiand blowers would be appreciated.

:cheers:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have seen those B&M blowers often on Fords. They seem to be a favorite for the old coupes and pickups. I have heard that they have a good feel to them, they come on strong and pretty smooth. I think that blower is an older model though, so I'd double-check on availability for replacement parts if that is a concern.

I havent heard much about weiand superchargers, but I have read about them many times in various magazines. I am not aware of any significant power difference between the two. I dont think the weiand would fit under the hood, if it did, it would be very close. I believe that the B&M blowers are a little bit lower profile in general compared to other brands.

How much are you planning on boosting your 327? Are you going to try to drop the CR so you can add more boost? Geez, that car scared the crap out of me as it sits, and you're gonna put more power?! :twisted::rockon:

Hi, although I have the HOLLEY 144 blower on my 350 sbc, let me share a few findings on my set-up. I used the HOLLEY dp 700 cfm supercharger carb: therefore make sure you have a strong fuel pump and a engine mounted fuel regulator. I used a K/N extrem top air flow filter. This left me with 1/2" clearance under my 5" hood scoop. If you want a strut brace it needs to be custom fitted due to the blower snout height. I suggest an aluminum radiator and electric fan. Due to running hot at freeway speeds, I changed to a Edelbrock Victor series alum. water pump because under boost conditions the engine converts air/fuel mixture into heat at a greater rate than stock. The blower increases cylinder pressure so do not run under 20psi oil pressure at idle. I would perform a compression or leak down test before installation. I reccommend the MSD 6BTM ignition set-up and final tuning on a dyno. If your compression ratio is 9.5 you are at the high limit for these blowers. My ratio is 8.5 and with 6lbs. of boost it has a effective comp. ratio of 12.0. They reccomend not to exceed 12.1 eff. comp. ratio.( 9.5 with 4lbs. of boost is 12.1) The following guages you should have: RPM, OIL PRESSURE, TEMP., FUEL PRESSURE, BOOST PRESSURE, FUEL, and AMP. Just some thoughts. :burnout: LARRY

Once saw a 144 blown 355 under the stock hood of a 280z at the track.

He ran dual weber sidedrafts atop the blower and it looked like it bearly cleared, but heres the catch: this was a scarab type conversion that sat the motor high and forward, this setup would clear the jtr setup a lot easier. He was running low 11s with a four speed auto, it was bad ass.

its going to cost a whole lot to run that setup since the sidedraft carb manifolds are hard to find used. I would just bite the bullet, get the flywheel, and run the 383 if its a money issue.

Thanks for the advise so far everyone!

Nic - I guess I'm used to the power and ready for an upgrade.

Cole - I have most of the accessories you mentioned. If possible, I'd like to have a look at your Z sometime.

fl327 - It'll fit under my scoop with a 4-barrel on top, no need to break my wallet with an exotic carb setup.

Guest Phil1934

I bought DD2000 to figure my 4 cyl with 144. The blower portion was made for specific size engines. If I changed the engine size from a small 1 cyl to a large 12 cyl the boost hardly varied. A call to tech got a response of just put in whatever OD gives you your boost. Try it and see if it's still broken.

• 1 year later...

Hey Cole, please post some pics of your setup.

Sounds awesome, I am highly considering a Weiand 142 mini-blower (stock legal version) for a stock 350 in my '86 K5 Blazer. It has a factory rating of 8.0:1 compression from the factory, which is more like 7.5:1 in my experence. The truck already has full length headers that are ceramic coated and SMOG legal too.

Anyway, the motor only has 50k original miles on it. I figure I yank it, clean it, re-paint it, swap in a new SMOG friendly hyd flat tappet cam and lifters with a blower happy 114 LSA. I'll also swap out the stock valve springs, retainers, and locks for some new, higher rate replacements (along with new valve seals). I'll end up leaving the stock valve rotators out though.

The stock Q-Jet will receive a rebuild and some tweaks as well. Mainly modifing the stock Q-jet so it will flow its full 750cfm instead of the weak 600cfm (made that way from the factory). Secondary metering rods will be alot richer, and all soft plugs will be epoxyed closed. Lastly, a larger needle and seat will be installed to allow more fuel flow if required. Of course 91 octane will be used as well.

Some might say that the stock cast pistons wouldn't last with a mini-blower, but as long as I keep the boost under 6 psi, I highly doubt I'll have any issues. Plus, my '99 GTP is supercharged, has stock 8.5:1 compression CAST pistons and its running 10-11 psi on 91 octane (no knock or pinging) with a 3.4" pulley (stock is 8 psi w/a 3.8" pulley).