HybridZ

Silvia transmission

CU Zcar

Alex posted something to the effect that the Silvia tranny, modified to bolt to an L engine, would be a good upgrade to the stock Nissan Z gearbox --FS5W71B/FS5C71B/etc-- in passing over in the Turbo/Supercharger forum, and that brought a few questions to mind. Is that transmission of the same family as the Z tranny? Is it stronger? Or were you just referring to having better ratios?

I remember looking into 240SX boxes and found they were designated FS5W71C. My thoughts were perhaps the 240SX gearset would work in the Z transmission case (since the bellhousing pattern and tailshaft housings I believe are different) and the swap might be worthwhile if the gears were any stronger, but I stopped looking when one of my friends with a 240SX told me that the more common swap was to use Z tranny parts in the SX box, particularly the shifter mechanism. After shifting a few SX's I have a better idea why :roll:

Anyway, I was just curious what any of you, particularly Alex, already knew on the matter of Silvia equipment :D

510 guys run L trans behind ka24 sometimes and dont have to change out driveshaft. I was thinking it should be the other way around and work right? KA trans is pretty strong, and they make a million and one shifters for it.

I'm sure an aftermarket shifter could improve the feel, though I was led to believe the actual mechanism actuating the sliders and such was better in the Z tranny than in the KA model. Never opened the KA tranny though so can't say from personal experience. I'm really more interested in the strength of the gearset more than anything else.

its a pretty strong trans, My buddy has one that I ride in alot. He is extremely harsh on his 240sx, he drifts everything, downshifts daily, shifts hard, street races, does 2nd gear shifting doughnuts, burns rubber, and he is still on his 190k 1st trans behind the KA-owned the car for 1year and 35k relentless beating, two clutches this year last one came out in three pieces!. That tells me it does have a chance in a turbo application, thats for sure. Silvia tranny probably stronger, but hard to find by its lonesome.