HybridZ

RB head onto L28 Block

zr240

just out of curiosity TBS, what prevents this from working other than the belt drive vs chain drive? coolant passages? oil passages? there is a guy here in AZ that has some RB parts he is letting go cheap, just wondering if it may or may not be worth my time.....

McAdam

Guest FinalRights

Are you sure that the head will bolt right up? I'm sure I could scour the internet and find a decent priced head somewhere. I'm guessing the rb25 would be the best to look for,since its better then the 20,and doesnt have the VVT that the 26 has. What kinds of hp/tq gains can be made from this head swap? How much do you think the hp/tq ceiling would be raised?

5 seconds on google turned this up. http://www.automotiveforums.com/t11610.html

naw, they never made an L6 Z series motor. on the RB thing, i would actaully WANT the VVT. It could be fun! I can get my hands on a complete RB25 block, head and manifolds for $550. I just dont have any money right now. i guess the head bolts line up between the RB and L motors, and the bore spacing is dead on. only problem I can see is oil/coolant passages and cam drive.

the oil and coolant passages could be solved by running externall plumbiong for all that crap, with -an lines. The cam drive would be another expense all together. You'd have to ahve custom chain sprockets for the cams made up, along with a custom length timing chain, or you'd have to convert the L motor to a belt drive. either way, your looking at big bucks. a damn shame really. bolting this thing on to an L28, youd notice a considerable puwer bump right away, because of 18 more cubes. then, if you had the 3.0, you'd have 30 more cubes (over an RB25, still 24 more cubes over an RB26) plus, our L cylinder walls are thicker even at extreme overbore levels than a STOCK VG30DETT (and I am assuming RB26 as well.)

just a few thoughts to consider

McAdam