HybridZ

decisions decisions.....

Guest gtmattz

Guest gtmattz

Well.. the more i dig into my Z the more crap im finding.. It is looking like I may have to find a different body to make look nice. there isnt any rust on the actual frame rails, but there are some other points that I really dont like, such as the fact that BOTH rear fenders have been 'bonked' in and filled with bondo, which looks to be about 3/4" thick at the thickest point on the drivers side and about 3/8" on the passenger (ick). I really dont want to attempt to remove the bondo, and overall am just becoming disgusted with the previous owner(s?) of this car. To get to the point, since this car only cost me about $40 (i did some work on the guys auto trans in his 2+2) im concidering using this car as a 'mule' kind of a training piece for my 1st v8 swap. just sand down the nastys on the paint and shoot it with a coat of primer then do the v8 conversion. Then i could have a v8Z to play with, while im looking for a car with a better body, then essentially transplant the conversion into the better car once i have it looking nice. does anyone else think this would be a good idea? concidering what i have in it now (all i have spent on it so far was to buy some sandpaper and such, probably $30 worth, so i have $70 into this total lol) i can learn on the POS car and then do things the right way after making all my mistakes on the beater.. good idea? bad idea? wait till i get a decent body?

Guest gtmattz
Sounds like a plan! It will give you good experience. Why don't you buy some body hammers, pop off the bondo, and try to fix the panels right. If they aren't rusted, but just dented, it would be a good time to learn body work.

I suppose that would probably be a good plan, as I am a complete newbie to bodywork, and since this is an essentially free car, i dont have to worry about messing up a major investment.. :D

Guest gtmattz
Or you could go wild, remove the bondo and cover the damaged quarters with YZ flairs. This would give you room for wide tires. :D

hehe yeah its tempting, but i would rather spend that kind of $$ of a better car, and one that im not learning on lol

just be carefull of the point where the car turns from a learning experience to a full blown project. That happened to me....I was just going to use the car to learn bodywork....well I learned, but the car has taken on a life of it's own, and a wallet of it's own :D

Tim

I totally agree with Tim on this. After you spend a lot of time working on it, you will start to like 'it'... and 'it' starts to like your $$$ ...:) During the course of the project, there will be times that you want you give up. So, you really don't need a lot more reasons (rust, body works ...) to stop you from working on it. In my opinion, you should use it as a part car, or get rid of it and find something that's in better shape to work on.

Huy

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of working on the drivetrain and messing around with the body of the car you have now. Later you can buy a straight chassis and transfer all the parts and your v8 conversion if you do it. That is pretty much my plan with my car. It's starting to grow some rust and stuff, so instead of sanding it all down and cutting and welding I will just not spend too much time on this car's bodywork and transfer everything to a better body later. I just wish I hadn't invested as much money as I did before i realized the deplorable body condition. Oh well :roll: live and learn...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gtmattz

Well.. my problems have been solved i think! just found a 76 260 with a much better body ran when parked (been parked a while now) intereor is decent, I have not seen it in person yet, but the person who owns the car said 'no rust' :D yay

and it comes with a running 280zx (no title)

all for $700

//cries tears of joy//

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

and i was the first person to contact them with the $ ready to go

Guest gtmattz

well.. 76 would have been a 280.. but anyway. I got out there and checked them out. 2 75 280's one 5spd one auto, auto has the title. and from what i could see, little rust, very minor