HybridZ

LSD info?

Chaparral2f

While swimming around the local pic and pull jy, I came across an '88 Supra. The engine and trans are gone, but I know that it was automatic (shifter still in consol). It was sitting with the rear end on the ground, in the mud. so I couldn't look under it or turn the wheels. Is there any way to tell if it might have an LSD? And would it be strong enough to handle a 350?

Also there was a '83 Porsche 944. Same story as the Supra...Same questions too.

Supra diff is lsd and very strong,should handle any streetable smallblock.

944 is a complete transaxle were the differential would reside normally. It is attached to normal bell housing (bolted to rear of engine) with a telephone pole sized rigid tube running the entire length of the drive shaft. drive shaft always turns at same RPM as motor. This design makes sense from many engineering reasons but it is very difficult to service and the parts are priced as if they were made out of "unobtainium". Avoid this set up.

Easiest LSD set up by far is 4/87-8/89 R200 300ZX Turbo. As strong as Supra diff and a bolt in any where a R200 lives now. I know they are rare and sometimes expensive but you will experience $500.00 worth of hassle trying to fit the Supra unit. Mounts,axles,angles, etc...

Does anyone else remember which Porsche made famous the word "unobtanium"?

Thanks for the information. I've been looking for an R200 LSD and in the last several months have only found four Zs in junk yards around here. and only two of them wereZ31s. As far as the turbos with the LSDs, at least in this area, I think the operative term is "Fat Chance". I've been considering a ford 8.8 from a Super Coupe, but the Supra is worth thinking about. Hmmmm... :?