HybridZ

L28 turbo or Chevy V8

Guest Anonymous

Balance of the car can be a little better if you mount the V8 via the JTR method. Get the Jags That Run book and it will explain that as well as other steps that can be taken to improve the car with a V8.

I wouldn't worry about balance with a V8 swap. You would really have to be good to tell the difference in handling between a V8 (done right) and an L28T. Remember the turbo and plumbing adds a lot of weight to the front of an L28.

Really just depends on what is easier for you. L28T could be sweet, so could an 8. I have changed my mind several times.

Hey, don't forget the RB's?

Guest Anonymous

the turbo is a likewise bolt in with assorted plumbing and wiring problems. The JTR V8 conversion due to all sorts of SBC engine types and trannys can be very complicated and get expensive but the sound from the exhaust is worth it

I did the turbo swap into my 77 280Z first, drove it a few years and am now nearing completion on the V8 swap.

I loved the turbo swap, but always had a nagging problem with the old fuel injection in the car ( I swapped the FI with the engine from an '82 ZXT). It would run great some days and not so great others. never left me stranded, just didn't make good power. I've seen several turbo cars with the same issue.

The only thing I didn't like was waiting for boost. I had a relatively stock setup and it just didn't make power until 2500 RPM or so, which was fine if you didn't mind shifting and having to choose either slow off the line starts or lots of wheel spin. I really drive the car hard and it used up a clutch pretty quick from trying to get a decent launch by slipping the clutch to keep the boost up from a dead stop.

I think I'll like the V8 better, lots of torque down low, and plenty of horses. Plus it really cleaned up the engine compartment and it's unique.

My decision to V8 all comes down to the turbo shaft bearings went and I had a buyer for the engine and always kinda wondered about the V8 option so I did it. Plus I had to have more power.

Perry

Guest Anonymous

Your question L 6 or SBC V8 is a quite subjective interpretation with differing opinions and you have been given a representative sample of answers. The suspension and braking can be very much improved with upgrade modifications irregardless of 6 or 8 cylinder engine power. The z car with suspension improvements will respond to about any type of abundant power including v6 .The SBC V8 weighs about 150 pounds more than the Datsun stock six cylinder. The v8 is reported to even out the overall weight between the wheels of a Z better the 6 cylinder The V8 has a lower center of gravity.etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Guest pvtkary

unfortunatly there is no free lunch. speed cost money how fast do you want to go. if you are modistly saying you arnt a mechanic try it. if you are searsouly mechanically impared dont. the body is the body. if you want tons of power in your car the suspension/frame modifications will be simlar. the turbo is probably the most direct root. if you push alot of boost you will either break motors, or start buying expensive exotic parts. I also have nothing aginst turbos, but there is alwayse the lag problem. once again may i sugest a little nitrous.

Based purely on the highly unscientific muscling of engines into and out of bays, I'd say the stock LS1 is at least 50lbs lighter than the L28.

HOWEVER! The LS1 swap is not to be undertaken lightly (pun so fun). It is a huge job with lots of fabrication required.

JTR V8 is easy and cheap. I was too stubborn to go that route though.

For L28Turbo, I would only consider it if you want (and kind find a whole car) ultra cheap midrange performance. Otherwise, you need a new turbo, a decent EFI system (such as SDS or Haltech), a good intercooler and basically, lots of money to feed it all.

Guest Anonymous

Also, I might look over the seas. Mercedes V-8's are some of the most reliable punishable beasts ever. i used to have a 380sl, and was running a 200 shot of nitrous with no mods to the engine AT ALL. The engines from the 70's and 80's SL series are nearly indestructible (unless they have a single timing chain........ouch!) I know owners with more than a million and a half miles on their cars, and still going strong. I used to be discriminatory against all other engines until i learned of power to weight ratios. thats when i realized that my car weighed 4000 lbs and was slow as hell without nitrous because of it. sorry, im talking too much. also, howbout a VW engine? they tak alot of punishment too, and the VR6 is powerful. just suggestions.....

icesky - Vehicle balance and handling have been covered a few times but I think its worth going over again.

First - If you use light weight parts on a small block Chevy (SBC) such as aluminum heads, intake and waterpump plus headers, light flywheel and a compact gear drive starter the engine will weigh no more than the L6 it replaced. 2thumbs.gif

Now here's the good part - being a V type engine it's quite low compared to the tall L6. Also, even though it has two more cylinders, it is two cylinders shorter than the L6. If you mount it using the JTR method (it's the only way to go!) http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html the entire engine will be mounted behind the front axle.

So, the end result is the car weighs the same as stock but now the weight distribution is improved from 52% front - 48% rear to an almost perfect 50-50% !!!! On top of that, the engine is much lower so you have reduced the center of gravity for the vehicle. And last, but not least, less mass in front of the front axle reduces the polar moment so .............

If you do it right, it will actually significantly improve the handling of the car. cheers.gif