HybridZ

chevy 250 twin turbo

warrenp

sorry been leaving you guys in the dark

i been visting inliners.com alot

but lately i have been gathering parts

so far i have the basic start

250 engine, 2 garret t3 turbo's from saab's, and a borg warner wrold class t5.

i wanna use a offenhauser manifold and a 4bbl holly

but i have been told that it will need to be pressureized and thats a pain.

or my 2nd option is tripple webbers.

but with my buget 4bbl is alot cheeper. but i was told with tripple webbers that i do not need to pressureize them.

any way what way would you guys go? and why

Why not a 292?

Well, skipping the carburated stuff and building a manifold and using Megasquirt would be much easier IMHO.

Sounds like an interesting build. My first truck (1962) had a 235 and I spent a lot of time on it. No mods, just TLC.

Speaking of 292's, why not grab a new all aluminum 292 out of a wrecked trailblazer and do it? You have a long list of mods to make to make any chevy 6 turbocharge anyway.

Damn, now I feel like I am talking myself into doing it! Bet it would make 350hp easy!!!

i donno if a 292 would fit as easy under a hood of a z.

it's 2" taller than a 250.

also a 292 is a truck motor for a reasion made to haul big loads and plenty of torque. it will not turn up as easy as a 250.

either way parts as wicked cheep

for some reasion i knew some one would say why not build ........

because it's cheep and i my wallet can work with it.

so far i have $80 in to this project the 250 engine was given to me

my cousin owns the junk yard i bought the t3's at.

and the BW T5 cost $150 but i just sold the bellhousing on ebay for $71

i gotta find one for a chevy to make an adpater since this tranny came from a ford.

well i have a chevy one too. but it's just a t5

i rather use a world class t5. that are easy to find here from mustangs

chevy didn't even use a world class t5 until the mid 90's verry hard to me to get up here in maine.

i can get them down in mass. but thats a 3hr drive and they want $500

and thats when chevy had some extended input shafts and the bell housing has to be from a v8 or 4.3

3.8's 2.8 will not work

i found summit offers a bellhousing for $319 that adapts a ford borg warner t5 to a chevy v8.

but now i think buick, pontiac, and olds had a standard bell housing that may work that i can get off ebay. they had 8 bolt hols unlike the chevys that have 4 to bolt up to the tranny.

so i believe the cheepest way is to buy the adapter on ebay buick to chevy and also buy the buick bellhousing and bolt it to a chevy.

Hmm.. well, I friend of min is a ford mustang freak and from what he says, the 'world class' T5 is not really a better trans. His 5.0 had a W/C T-5 and it was awful (very abused mind you) but he did some research and found it was not a good trany for high power applications period. They tend to grenade themselves.

You may want to shoot me for saying this, but why replace an engine that is perfect for turbochaging, and replace it with one that really isn't, and bolt turbos on it? Why yank a superior engine design ( L series engine) out, a replace it with a push rod six? You are going to spend a lot more money than just dropping in a ZXT engine. The performance and reliability I think woul be lower with the Chevy 250. I'm not knocking the Chevy engine, I think they are cool motors (I had a 67' Chevy window van with one).

Now if you are sold on the Chevy 250 approach, don't waste your time with carburetors. First, you can't safely run an air to air intercooler with a draw through carb setup. You can with a blow through setup, but then there are all sorts of problems that arise when you try to preusrize a carburetor. You are going to have to do a lot of fabrication anyway to get those turbos on the Chevy 250, so build an EFI intake while you are at it. Or, you may be able to just weld injector bungs into you stock manifold, and use an OEM throttle body. Or, use a GM TBI. You can use either with a megasquirt. Or spend some more and get an aftermarket engine computer that will do direct fir ignition. You really want a lot of control over timing. What compression ratio do you plan on running?

How much boost?

Pete

once again cost $$$

check http://www.inliners.org

there is a guy with a 292 turbo intercooler and it's a 4bbl pressureized

and an other guy that has a 250 i believe, but he runs tripple webbers.

don't get me wrong i love datsuns but the parts are costly to replace and some are near impossiable for me to get and find. there are few datsunds here in maine. the do not last our snowy conditions and the salt on the roads.

i'm lucky just to see a 300zx on the roads here.

also i'm gitting abit sick of feuel injection. i'm machanicly inclined to a point.

i have a 1988 nissan 4x4 that i installed a vg30et in to.

i'll be damed if i can get spark or even the ecu to light up. and no one around here knows any thing either so i get abslutly no help.

i get answers from here and from other sites about wiring it up.

it just never seems to get the answer i want it's been a year and a half and it doesn't run.

Hi Warren,

I live in NH and have no problem finding engine parts for L Series ingines. I'm rebuilding one right now.

BTW, there is a local New ENgland Z Car club that is quite active:

http://www.zccne.addr.com

We have members from all over NE, incluging maine. In fact we have a member in maine that has a L28 turbo in his 280Z. He is now converting it over to megasquirt.

As a club we help each other out with parts. Each of us has a stock of stuff, so chances are, another member has what you are looking for.

Pete

DAMN! You put a VG30ET into a 4X4 pickup? soudns like fun! for wiring in a beast like that, perhaps try http://www.Z31.com ? Its a 1st gen 300zx specialty site. I would imagine if anyone knows anything about that wiring harness/motor, they would be there. I don't know about Z31 turbo motors, but I know on a lot of early 90's nissan motors most of the relays were built into the harness, so all you had to do to do a swap car to car, like say an RB20DET into a 240sx, was hook up 8 wires and you were golden. If the relays weren't in the harness, but in the car itself, it would probably be more of a pain in the ass. I hope you get that running, as that would be an awesome beast. a friend of mine wants a 300zxtt in his pathfinder, at least this is a ray of hope for him, lol!

McAdam

Yah, that's cool.. I have a 93 Nissan King cab for a daily driver, and the 3.0L N/A pulls good... I can imagine with a turbo set up! I actually want to build (someday...) a pre 85' Nissan/Datsun pickup with a 300zx turbo engine and air bag suspension 'pssssttt... ' drag the frame on the ground and watch the sparks fly! Heh heh

yeah i know about the new england zcar club.

i beleive john j. told me about it.

maybe you know him?

i have a verry nice 86 300zx with a list longer than my arm of new/aftermarket parts. just sits in my shop. i havn't driven it in a few years. but she's my pride an joy.

i pretty much know how to fix my truck but the parts are not available here.

i just need the full ignition from a 80's 300zx.

my truck was a z24 engine. and the dual ignition will not work. it will not even plug in to the ecu.

so i believe my ecu will not light up becasue it's not gitting an ignition signal, so i have been told the whole engine is wired up i just need the ignition.