HybridZ

toy'ed with a turbo Z at school today, dyno too.

Guest ON3GO

today at school a kid brought in his 280ZX turbo to get a few suspension parts done on his Z during class. MINT car, only 12K miles on it, no dents, no nothing bad on this car. car is in that gold color paint, very nice.

anyways he needed new ball joints, and control arms put on so i got to it and knocked it out in no time. we got to talking and he had a MBC, intake, 60mm t-body, and NPR intercooler in the back of the car that needed to be put on. I was like sweet. talked to the teacher and asked if we could do it in class as we had nothing to do at all.

so we got to it, everything was so easy to put on and i was lucky the npr intercooler came with all the piping that fits already.

got it all installed and we took it for a spin... had it set at 17psi.

i had no clue how high i could have it but i figured 17psi would be good, as 18psi might be max i could go.

he took me for a spin, and boy he cant drive, so i asked if i could drive it. he said sure. got into it in 1st and it just spins the rear tire.. yeah tire.

watching the boost gauge, it kinda tapers off to about 15 or 16psi in higher rpms.

but this thing took OFF. i was suprised.

anyways he was impressed with my driving too, all i can say is poor rear end.

well after class ended we took it to the dyno.. on 93 pump gas it put down 255rwhp and 278lbs at the wheels.

also it has some sort of HKS old exhaust.

anyways it was fun to mess around on a Z again and it was my 1st time i drove a turbo 280ZX.

also im gonna be racing this car against a Trans Am this weekend. im sure i can take him, the TA driver cant drive.

mike

yeah i no :)..

well i was in Chris Z here, and that thing is very fast.

ill let you all know how i do against the F-body.

LS1 is going down to the L28ET!!!

and yeah he is a nice guy, not the smartest person but either am i, but he thinks im like the best driver lol..

mike

17-18psi of boost.....better make sure your EGTs are not getting into the dangerous zone. That's alot of boost for stock injectors. I have the exact set-up on my ZXT (TurboXS MBC, NPR IC, 60mm TB etc etc) and at 7psi my plugs were starting to look bleached.

Sounds like fun either way!

I hope you humbe that Trans Am

Yasin

hey guys i toyed with that Trans am today. ATE HIM BAD off the line, kids need to learn how to drive there cars before they start the sh!t talking.

he didnt catch up untill close to the top of 4th gear. wasnt looking how fast that was, but we were moving.

so Z wins :).

trans am kid didnt believe the ZX was almost stock and etc.

then i drove the TA with him as a passenger and the owner of the 280ZX driving and i beat the ZX preatty bad, i say atleast 8 cars.

this is a 2000 WS6 (LS1) Trans Am with exhaust and some sticky kumhos out back.

i still think the ZX put up a good fight with me in the TA, if somebody was driving the ZX as was a good driver im sure i would have only won by 3 or 4 cars.

but on a side note... im so happy i dont like F-bodys, i just didnt feel "at home" driving it, it was fast, but i dunno.. didnt feel like a Z or other cars i like driving.

was a fun day.

mike

UTI... its to be ASE certified, master tech.

most people in it go to dealerships to work and etc.. i dont think thats what i wanna do.

i kinda just wanna go to a small performance shop and work my way up.

i might go to this machineing school here in houston afterwards... wanna know how to weld the best (im ok now) and build anything :D

mike

The reason I asked is I worked at a dealership for years ASE certified, and for the ammount of knowledege you need to have plus the stress of "get em in get em out" it was not worth it. I know all dealerships are not the same but...around here a master tech with 15 years experience at the dealership still only makes between 15 to 19 an hour. This is while the dealership charges $75 an hour!!! :evil:

If I sound bitter ITS BECAUSE I AM!!! :twisted:

Ahhhh.... I feel better. You seem like a smart guy...stay away from the dealership.

In fact my buddy I worked with at the Ford dealership just left to work at PEP BOYS!!! He is making almost double what the dealership was paying him!!!

thanks man..

i gotta see where i go with this.

but money isnt everything to me, but i want to work in a real cool performance shop with project cars and tuning and etc.

mike

Very Cool Man. I must say I respect your train of thought. I originally got into it because I liked working on cars and thought I could make a decent living doing it. Money can be made, I just went in the wrong direction. Your ideas seem to have more possibilities.

The Machine Shop idea is a great one. I spent about three years working in one and it helped me advance my knowledge as well as my career greatly.

The one component that a lot of guys miss out on (including myself) is electronics. Not just Ohms law and basic electrical knowledge but advanced automotive elctronics. There is always a high demand for someone who has a good technical background/understanding of electronically controlled engines.

yeah thats why im doing the Ford Factory Training which is all electronics. :)

im hoping i can meet somebody here in texas that has or works at a machine shop so i can just help out for free and learn abit.

mike

So Mike how do you like UTI? I wanted to go there and do the Hot Rod classes but really couldn't afford to move down there. So instead I am going to Lincoln Technical Institute in Grand Prarie which is like 20 minutes south of DFW airport. I also would love to work in the performance/customizing portion of the automotive field but at this moment I'm not sure where to start. I'm like half way through school so I still got awhile to think about it. Also what is it about these guys driving that makes them so horrible?

hey man..

UTI is ok, i kinda wished for more.

im more performance then just replacing parts, and thats what they kinda teach ya.

thing is u just cant take the hot rod classes, you have to take the whole auto program :(

and about there driving..

they just cant shift fast, nor how to launch a car.

i never drove a 280zx turbo before and i got it down in a few trys.

they either always bog or spin the hell out of the tires.

also on the trans am i didnt even take my foot off the gas, the kid didnt know you could do that.

i told him he shouldnt try. :D

mike

Yeah its pobably wise he doesn't try. Or maybe so, you'll get to play with an LS1. :D Yeah LTI isn't anywhere near what its cracked up to be. Yes, I learn alot but I could probably learn just as much in a shorter time on my own. Half the people there don't seem to care about being there and we spend half the day just goofing off. Good luck with UTI and your car is looking pretty sweet; can't wait for the vids.

JasonE

well ive delt with some LT1's in my days in florida and there strong motors and love boost or nitrous.

the LS1 trans am i raced against and also raced for was damn fast, low 13sec with me in it or maybe even faster with a better driver then me.

im guessing the 280ZX is a mid 13sec car... its a nice car.

thanks for the kind words.

mike