HybridZ

What A/F ratio will you start to smoke at?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Was just wondering about how rich of an A/F ratio you have to be at before you start to see the tell tale black smoke that lets you know you're running way too rich? I dynoed like a month ago and my car ran as rich as 10:1 AFR on boost, but it does not show any sings of running rich like black smoke or sooty spark plugs. Just wondering how much richer it takes to get it to smoke, out of curiousity, as I would have thought 10:1 is pretty darn rich!

Guest bastaad525

yo2001 - well I was definatley richer than 10.5:1 on boost... so why is my motor not smoking? Why aren't my plugs black? Why the hell is my car running so rich!!! I agree though I honestly was surprised to see the fuel so rich on the dyno and didn't understand why my car does not puff black smoke....

Guest bastaad525

Timing is set at stock :(

question is, should I try to mess with the fuel mixture at all? Tighten up the AFM spring? Mine isn't the only turbo that does this, I've seen at least three other '81-83 ECCS controlled turbo motors in 240's that all ran super rich in the mid RPM's on boost, in the 10:1 range, when dynoed.

Guest bastaad525

Oh and by the way I have no perceptible misfire on boost either, though I do still get some in low revs and at idle. Maybe I really should adjust my AFM some? I'm kinda scared to mess with it.... Not to mention it's kinda harder to get to on my current setup than it was on the ZX's I used to own.