HybridZ

Ordered a Weir bellhousing adapter today...

strotter

Well guys, I've got me a T56 out of a Camaro a couple of weeks ago (an ebay thing, and a pretty good price) and I just got off the 'phone with a very nice fellow at Weir Hotrod Products. The bellhousing adapter kit will be here within a week or so. I'll keep you informed as to its' status.

I will be using it also. I've bought it I just haven't gotten to putting it together yet. I've got it for 2 reasons, 1st I wanted to use a light flywheel. The Weir product gives you a much wider range of flywheels you can use. Also the pull type clutch is expensive and there are not many choices. 2nd, I really want to use a long header, the stock slave cylinder would get in the way, the assembly stick out right in the path of the header. I also don't like what you have to do to use the stock slave cylinder, so just another reason.

Sorry my followup has taken so long - it's been a heck of a week.

My reasons for using the Weir are similar to demidon, as well as the fact that I have an existing clutch/flywheel I'm pleased with. I *believe* I can get away with my existing driveshaft (as it was a bit short for the T-5's). Keeping fingers crossed.

There is a possibility that I'll need to change out the clutch master cylinder - the fellow I talked to indicated that the 7/8's I'm using may be too small. We'll see, but it's something easily remedied (translate: "Don't have to pull the motor out again").

Cost was about $650. Seems steep, but compare that to tracking down/replacing the flywheel, new pressure plate, new clutch, new slave cylinder, etc. Flywheel's the tough one, needs to match a pre-86 two-part rear seal.

BTW Topless, it's on a 327 in a '72.

Weir is at:

http://www.weirhotrodproducts.com

It's not much of a site; it seems to concentrate mainly on the smallblock conversion kit. There's an 800 number, you might give them a call.

I wouldn't imagine it would be *too* expensive to have a plate or adapter of some kind fabricated that would mate the block/bellhousing. I imagine the tolerences would be close, though...

So Scott, got that thing screwed together yet? They're talking about another Anywhere Cafe get-together. I've got a hawk in the garage right now that I would love to bring and pilot in a black streak contest with you. :twisted:

Does this bring back memories?

strottertracks.jpg

What a sappy grin!

strotter.jpg

Do those pants make my butt look fat? I think they make my butt look fat.

Dan, the thing's in my back yard again, though it's sitting on it's own feet! I've got a semi-long list of things I need to take care of, including:

1. Wait for the Weir part - supposed to be middle of next week.

2a. Install Weir part.

2b. Purchase and install the 1" clutch master cylinder, maybe.

3. Install motor/tranny.

4. Fix all the stuff I damaged in parts 1-3.

5. Fix all the stuff I damaged removing parts subsequently installed in parts 1-3.

6. Possibly get the driveshaft shortened.

7. Sand down and paint the da**ed bondo on the air dam and fender.

8a. Fix the hood dent, or

8b. Paint the 280 hood I got at Pick'n'Pull the same color as the car, so as to take advantage of the cool hood vents that, who is it on the board who makes those cool hood vents? In which case I'll have to...

8c. Paint the cool hood vents.

9. Reinstall the temp sender in the radiator, 'cause I did it wrong the first time.

10. Remove the carpet from the driver's side footwell, 'cause there's a layer of mildew growing in there from the invisible leak that let the water in during the rain; wash the carpet, reinstall.

11. Fix the rack and pinion assembly that I previously fixed, 'cause one of the end bushings is too tight and drags when it's cold.

12. Paint the engine compartment the same color as the rest of the car.

13. Polish the whole car again, but this time put the wax on.

Though maybe not in that order.

A followup on the Weir bellhousing -

The thing came in Wednesday. Initial inspection showed a pretty well built product - fine sand casting, pretty good machine work, cleanly drilled bolt holes, flash trimmed neatly. There was no identification for the hydraulic throwout bearing, but it looks very similar to those in the 4th generation Camaro/Firebirds. The only part that was even a tiny bit rough was the plate that fits between the bellhousing and the engine - the edges were hand-ground, not machine chamfered.

The flywheel needed to be removed to install the plate to the motor. Did that, popped on the plate, it needed a tiny bit of grinding where it interfered with the starter. Pulled the "front" bellhousing off the T56 (there are sort of two), bolted the Weir piece to the car. Damaged my back shoving the tranny onto the bellhousing, noted that I had forgotten to install the hydraulic throwout bearing, removed the tranny, bolted in the bearing, poked the tranny in again. Other than the bit of grinding, no sweat.

Getting it back into the car was more complicated than with a T-5. The '56 is heavier, and a bit longer - just long enough that there isn't quite enough room to just tilt the thing back and go. I had to go in at an angle, still managed to scratch both the firewall and the radiator support pretty good.

As of this evening, I've got the motor sitting on the mounts, the driveshaft bolted in at the differential and the yoke in the tranny. I stopped at that point because it started raining, so I haven't jacked it up to crawl underneath and look at the tranny mount and the tolerance on the front universal. Just looking down through the shifter hole though, it's looking like the engine is going to have to bolt in 3/4" or so forward of it's original position. This will put the back of the distributor abut 1" clear of the firewall.

So far its been pretty straightforward. I'm expecting to have to reposition the tranny mount aft, which may be a problem as it was a tight fit in the driveshaft well even with the T-5. There may be some hammer work in my future. :wink: