HybridZ

Carb Synchrometer

Nismo280zEd

ok... being a full time college student now with no job currently, I can't afford to go buy a 60$ synchrometer and a 60 atachment to make it fit to webers, plus i don't have my airhorns on anymore. So i'm sitting in math class today bored off my @$$ and i start thinking about making one. all it has to do is measure vacumn esentially. So i star thinking... take something like a clear tube.. say like 50mm diameter use something that fits inside it like a ping pong ball... attach the ping pong ball on a spring and attach the spring to the end of the tube. put an O-ring on the other side of the tube.. and that would sit on opening of the car.... then you just use a sharpie and put marks on the clear tube... adjust all the carbs to the same mark..

What do you guys think? any other ideas?

-Ed

You have to be careful not to add much of an airflow restriction. The more restriction the more inaccurate the reading because the unrestricted carb will compensate through the balance tube between the intake manifolds. That's why its so hard to tune SUs above idle using a Unisyn.

I don't know what brand intake manifold you have... but mine does not have a balance tube that connects all 6 ports. i only have a vacumn port off #6. I'll have to look it up but i'm pretty sure i have the TSW manifold... it just has runners that go to the block, however.... i do have the air vents all connect to each other and to the valve cover... if i just capped those while adjusting?