HybridZ

Killer custom or otherwise EFI for OEM manners on 406sbc?!!

OK, no word on my cars recover yet......

Anyhow, a friend's got a killer deal for me if I act on it. Basically was a wicked V8 327 Z car, with high revving lumpy 327....he tore it all apart a few years back now and built a killer 406/brodix heads etc yadda yadda. I'd love to build up his package (clean/painted rust free chassis/recaro's/LSD....etc) as my own BUT I REALLY want the OEM like mannerisms LT1 setups have......my edelbrock proflo EFI did NOT give that, blower roll around town I never got to tweaking and some other characteristics I wasn't overly fond of (it did serve me well, I'm getting PICKY now).

So ideally I'd like an Lt1 or LS1 in a V8Z as I've said for a couple years now....but my bud's got this great 406 sbc I know I'd enjoy...what's around for excellent overall EFI systems that could orchestrate this motor? Something with smart air intake temperature locations...you know....

We'll have no problem selling this setup, but I need to eliminate myself from the equation first....2nd issue was how to make a nice'n'quiet exhaust system that I never did succeed at. I'll leave that one for now as it wasn't that long ago I raised that question (last summer).

Thanks in advance!

Quiet + 406?

lol!!

Quite plus good power basically.......on my 280ZX V8 I had 300rwtq and quiet highway but some drone at lower rpm's. I don't need a totally free flowing system, quiet is VERY important to me with a ringing I have in my ears from a drug treatment a few years back.

I've heard some very nicely tweaked OEM like setups (mod'd fbodies/vettes and others) that were quiet/basically sledgehammer sleepers.

The LT1intake site is down right now, I'll have to check back on it later.

Some of the quick engine details are:

- 406 stroker (New) carb to pan. brodix track 1 heads , port matched victor jr intake, Callies all steel internally balanced rotating assembly, (10.5:1) weiand water pump, small balancer, new pan, comp cam (110691), roller tip rockers, demond carb, msd billet distributor....

I'd drop the carb/perhaps intake/perhaps milder cam, EFI and enjoy.

Ross, I can't really say how well mine will work, since I'm building it as I speak... But I've got a 383 stroker, internally balanced, roller hydraulic setup, aluminum Dart heads... 530/550 lift cam with 294/ 294 dur.@ 50 Advertized. I'm gonna be running my cuttler FI intake (I have to drill and slot some mount holes) w/ 42# injectors and a 1000CFM TB. This system was purchased reasonably online two years ago... I'm gonna control it with the Holley COmmander 950 computer and harness...

It should be very mild manored on the street, and tuning cannot be any worse than when I had my carburetor! Those who have this setup report very good manors and easy tuning once you get the hang of it... there is also rumor of 3rd party wideband 02 software for full R/T Tuning.

Mike

PS, Spoke with Jim Mcnemar on the phone last night... I'll have some questions for you when you get the parts list on his car done... I'm doing the install and build up of his current Scarab.

Mike :D

The car sounds like a good thing, Ross, but it will not be as quiet or comfortable as your ZX ever was, despite the sweet V8 your ZX had. Still, it may be a truly good thing to buy, especially if the price is right.

The 406 would be an awesome motor, especially with EFI, like the LT1 efi. If you adapted the efi and ran some lower compression pistons, you could also turbocharge the motor and have that quiet exhaust note that you seek....not to mention ungodly power :D

Davy

The car sounds like a good thing' date=' Ross, but it will not be as quiet or comfortable as your ZX ever was, despite the sweet V8 your ZX had. Still, it may be a truly good thing to buy, especially if the price is right.

The 406 would be an awesome motor, especially with EFI, like the LT1 efi. If you adapted the efi and ran some lower compression pistons, you could also turbocharge the motor and have that quiet exhaust note that you seek....not to mention ungodly power :D

Davy[/quote']

OK, OK, I'll have to practise keeping a straight face and telling the missus the custom turbo install is really a fancy exhaust dampening system :D