HybridZ

PPG paint question.

Huy350Z

I just bought a quart of PPG DP50LF epoxy primer, and the guy at the paint store told me that I also need to get some kind of an epoxy primer catalyst like DP402LF. He said that I need to mix these at a 2:1 ratio (Two part primer : one part catalyst) prior to pouring them in to the spray gun. Anyway, I’d like to hear your experience on this.

Thanks so much for your help,

Huy

I'm far from an expert, but I've painted three cars with "catalyzed" paints so I'll pipe in. Almost all modern paints use a two or more part mixture. It is an epoxy-like reaction that causes the paint to "kick" in the same way as epoxy. Also like epoxy, the environment makes a difference - higher temperatures = quicker kick, lower temps the reverse. Something to note about all of these paints is that they're *incredibly* toxic - you absolutely cannot even get a whiff of them, your neighbors can't get a whiff of them, your pets can't get a whiff of them. If you smell it through your respirator, you're dosed. There are a number of variations on the theme, but the dangerous chemical is "cyanoacrylate", which can kill you quick. I managed to dose myself a couple of years ago, and it showed up in a standard blood test in a physical. So I went down to Harbor Freight (a cheap yet cool tool place) and got a forced-air respirator system that T-s into your compressed air line. Smells kind of rubbery and nasty, but it works just fine if your compressor is far away from your spray gun. I think it was $40 bux or something.

Strotter and RacerX, your expert advices are always appreciated.

I sand-blasted the fenders, cowl, head light buckets, and several others parts of the Z to bare metal. On the inside of these parts, I coated them with POR-15. On the outside, I cleaned them throughly with laquer thinner.

I'll let the body shop do all of the body work on the car, but I do not want these panels to start rusting away while I'm shopping around another paint shop. Anyway, I'm going to paint them (on the outside) with several coat of primers and let them sit for the next several weeks.

Well, as you guys probably already know, my knowlege on painting a car is extremely limited. :oops: ... but I'm learning along the way.

RacerX, what kind of reducer do you recommend? And how much reducer to I need to mix with the catalyzed DPLF?

Thanks so much for your help,

Huy

Thanks RacerX ... WOW that's a lot of information in one post. I just downloaded the whole thing for reference at a later time.

Huy

BTW, have you ever thought about writing a book on this subject? Your writing style is very direct, and very easy to understand- which I can not say the same for many technical books out there.

BTW, have you ever thought about writing a book on this subject? Your writing style is very direct, and very easy to understand- which I can not say the same for many technical books out there.

Totally agree! while i really dislike body work, and will probably never paint my own car, I always read the paint and body section because racerX simply goes above and beyond when he posts. very informative, detailed and well writen. as you said Huy, I get more info about paint from this board than I have ever got from those "paint your car" books.

RacerX, you should really consider writing a book.

(actually, I might be painting my car afterall, probably will PM you if i dont find the info i need if thats all right)

Hi RacerX,

I hope that your dad will fully recover.

I'm also sorry to hear about your employment situation, and hope that the best will come your way soon.

Anyway, please post when the video is done. I'll buy one from you for sure.

Good luck,

Huy