HybridZ

maxima engine

Bangker

Guest Dan0myte

The only RWD transmission that fits the VQ series of engines is an automatic transmission sold in a few upscale Australian cars. So...

1. It's hard to get

2. It's automatic

There's the potential of fitting a 300ZX TT trans to the engine, but with a lot of custom fab work on the bellhousing.

BTW, the VQ30DE frickin rocks. What a damn smooth engine.

Guest Dan0myte

Old Maxima's = Single overhead cam VG. Torquey, but boring.

1995 - 2001 Maxima = VQ30DE. All aluminum, revvy and boatloads of power everywhere.

2001+ Maxima = VQ35DE. Even better. :D

He said in his first post that he has a 96 Maxima engine available, so that's the VQ30DE.

Guest das280zx

Isn't there a guy on here with a vq30 mated to a 350z 6 speed that he is gonna put in his rx7 of all things? Remember that the pathfinder has had the vq35 since 2001 and probably has a tranny that will mate up to any vq also. You would want the 2wd 5 speed though, and that should prove to be quite rare.

• 1 month later...
Isn't there a guy on here with a vq30 mated to a 350z 6 speed that he is gonna put in his rx7 of all things? Remember that the pathfinder has had the vq35 since 2001 and probably has a tranny that will mate up to any vq also. You would want the 2wd 5 speed though, and that should prove to be quite rare.

That'd be me :). and it is more than "gonna put in the rx-7" It is in there already.

The 350z trans bolts right up to the maxima block. There are issues with the starter and the clutch and on and on. However with enough time and cutting etc just about anything is possible.

By the way I ran the engine in my project car the other day. Maybe before too long I'll be driving it :)

Guest das280zx

If you used a newer VQ, how would you get around the key security chip? You know, the chip in the ignition key that is neccessary for starting the car. I wonder if there is a work-around for this on nissans. It would be good if there was.

If you used a newer VQ, how would you get around the key security chip? You know, the chip in the ignition key that is neccessary for starting the car. I wonder if there is a work-around for this on nissans. It would be good if there was.

Yes the NATS was a concern of mine. However it turned out well. I purchased an ECU, IMMU and key all from the same vehicle (different vehicle than the engine). Wired it up and it works great without having to reprogram anything. (the IMMU is the box that bolts to the ingnition switch to read the code from the transponder in the key)

An LED will light if there is a problem with the NATS system (wrong key etc). I was sure relieved when I switched on the power and it showed no problems. A few days later I was even happier when I had the engine running :-D

If a matching ECU, IMMU and Key are not used then the new combination can be programmed by the nissan dealer to accept the key code. I have not found any ways around the NATS without going to a stand alone ECU. Keeping the NATS happy doesn't seem all that hard though.