HybridZ

New AFM

CarJway

Well i just got my Re - built AFM from MSA and i thought this would fix my hesitation, studder'n, no power along the RPM band, jumping tach problem.... But once again this didn't fix anything. I just put new injector's in. New plugs for the injectors, PVC valve and fuel filter. The engine has only 61k on it too... But since i was getting irritated and desperate, i started to mess with the lean - rich screw. Only not to know which way is which. I think it's running way to rich now because of the fact it almost die's when i give it WOT. But is there a way to get this semi back to the center. Like screw it all the way in, then 2 turn's out or something ? And any help on the main problem... hesitationg, studder'n, no power and so forth problem would be extreamly help full.........

carlos

Guest smoov280zx

If i remember correctly, my 83 did about the same thing as yours when my distributor finally bit the dust. It got progressively worse and when it was examined, tiny little ball bearings rolling around in the bottom of it :shock: . Since your tach is jumping, that comes off the coil i believe, I dont know if an internal distributor problem would cause that. Maybe a module problem, but like sleeperz said, probably igniton. Check your ignition components before giving MSA any more money.

And just my experience. I ran my car with a bad tps but it never did anything like that.

Mitch

Hey thanks guys.... But do you guys have some where to start checking? Im going to start with new plugs and wire's. Then from there start seeing what happens. Yeah and the bad thing about the AFM is MSA said it was bad.. which im starting to doubt very much. i tested it my self I came up with it being bad but maybe that isn't all that is wrong. Anyone have Info on my AFM screw problem.... and any more in-sight on the ignition problem is welcomed... :-D

oh and by the way... what are some good spark plugs to buy... ??

Guest smoov280zx

I've used champion and even the bosch platnum 4 electrode plugs, but they kinda suck on my car. The regular NGK's are the best I've used in my engine.

Don't know about the AFM screw, sorry. Definitely test the new afm like you tested the "bad" one and see what the result is.

If you post another topic asking about specific problems, in the the ignition forum and the screw question in the fuel forum, you'll probably get a quicker answer. If you've got $50, go to http://www.courtesyparts.com/publications/index.html and pick up a factory service manual for your specific year on cdrom, its got step by step tests for pretty much everything.

I'll let the guys with the knowledge answer your questions, but while youre waiting on answers, head over to zcar.com and search the 70-83 tech forum for specific testing procedures and maybe how to adjust the afm screw. I think the search function is down on this site right now.

Sorry i couldnt be much help. There are more than a few people on this site with mucho experience, so you'd better take it from them instead of me.

Mitch

Guest bastaad525

DUDE, save yourself much more time, headache, heartbreak, backache etc.

take the car to a place that specializes in nissans, pay some $$, it's usually not TOO pricey, have them hook up their computer and analyze the entire EFI and ignition system. They'll check every sensor, the ECU, all the wiring... sometimes stuff like this can be a short in the wiring harness which can be VERY hard to diagnose and trace... I've had problems like this with ZX EFI... pain in the ass... but a shop with the right equipment can usually have it figured out like *BAM* and then you're all done.

I will say, any erratic activity with the tach usually indicates ignition problems. Could be the dizzy, coil, I'd bet money on the ignition module on the side of the dizzy or coil, these are known to be a common problem, going bad.

Are you serious! Im such an idiot! I thought you couldn't take these cars to get hooked up to the computer! Oh about pay'n to get this checked out isn't a problem. Hey does anyone know of some good shops in Maryland ? Do you guys think a dealership could possible find the problem ? Hey man thanks a lot. hopefully i can have this thing going befor it desides to snow again!!