HybridZ

Rear End

Guest steveo

What kinda rear end you sbc guys using? IF have a 78 280z (so thats a r200 stock right?) and looking to go with a 400 sbc.

What are my options?

Can the stock take it?

Throw in something else?

What tranny would be a good match.

Sorry im new at this and didn't find much in the search.

thanks, steve

Room for a little debate here?

I'm running an LS1 with 3.70:1 R200 LSD and stock half-shafts with Spicer "Brute-Force" universals. The car makes 326 rwtq and, depending on the road surface, can develop a pretty violent wheel hop without a little judicious throttle control. I have about 6 months on it now and, as of last week, everything underneath looks great. I don't spend every weekend at the track but it does get "exercised" weekly.

IMO - unless you are going to be hammering it all the time the stock drive train - in new condition - should handle up to around 400 rwtq. If racing regularly or with higher torque all bets are off though.

R200 3.54 4 or 5 spped cars

R180 3.54 automatics

R200s can take a lot of abuse but 1/2 shafts are the weak link. Spicer 5-1505X U-joints are an upgrade.

RossC (ModernMotorsports) has good adaptors for 280zx/300zx CV halfshafts- This appears to be the strongest setup.

R180 is OK for mild use.

Make sure the tranny you use has an overdrive (700R4-T5-T56) or highway cruise will be annoying.