HybridZ

83 ZXT climate control/vent issues/vent switch

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

1. I've got a fair number of problems with my "automatic" climate control. I'm pretty sure first off that the aspirator fan is buzzing like Jimi Hendricks in cold weather. Moreover, my hot/cold slider only allows full heat or full cold (A/C) settings. My Nissan dealer told me that'd be 10hours/$1000 of fishing vacuum lines, but since I'm going to have a local independent mechanic pull the dashboard just to replace that aspirator, I decided to take a chance and bought a replacement "sensor" unit. Anyone care to speculate how likely a failed sensor/aspirator might be the source of no temp regulation? I'd love to prove the Nissan mechanic wrong! :lol:

2. I also realized that the two squarish vent covers just to the left of the climate sensor don't push any air out in any mode. The Nissan owners manual is poorly written, and apart from a couple of arrows indicating air flow from these outlets, there's no indication as to which modes activate those outlets, or whether they're supposed to run in heat and A/C and vent? Does anyone know? Is there a separate motor for blowing air out of those, so I can at least scour for used replacement parts? All I know is when it gets really cold around here, there's no upper cabin heat unless I put on defrost, so it is really hard on bare hands even when the heat is fully warming the lower cabin!!

3. I did see in the manual that there's supposed to be a switch that is located on the driver's side lower knee panel, in line with the throttle, and basically a rectangular cutaway. On my car, there's no such switch!

I'm wondering if that was a feature not given to cars with autoclimate control, and the stinky owners manual doesn't state that...or whether the previous owner might have pulled it out for some kinda malfunction!?!!?!?

Your guesses are better than mine!!

Thanks

John

The switch you are referring to was for manual AC systems.

I am willing to bet that you have a vacuum leak - the #1 cause of incorrect airflow in both manual and Auto systems. Of course with the auto system you have a lot more hoses...I ought to konw, I just converted form auto to manual when I did the digital to analog and swapped wiring harnesses - not much bucks to make the change and the dash was off, so avoided probs.

This even though I have less than 30K on a new contol unit for the auto.

I would first check in the engine compartment at the hoses on the vacuum tank. 30 years of high heat/oxidation had mine in poor shape and one fell right off.

If you have the dash out you can check the vacuum at each of the servos controlling air flow to determine if any of these are a problem - even without the dash out - just the lower dash you can do this.

You can also bypass the control and take vacuum straight to the servos to make sure they work. If you connect the straight vacuum line to a servo and it doesn't move what it is supposed to, you have a problem.

Let us know what you find out...

• 2 years later...