HybridZ

Anyone have pics of the Pantera hatch?

Guest FinalRights

Kinda surprised that you all keep forgetting the many body kit documentation photos that I take to share with all of you at ZPARTS.COM?

To refresh your memories, here's two LINKS that'll lead you to a few I have taken in past years of Pantera hatch kits seen at shows.

http://www.zparts.com/events/wczn20/pages/00r10f09a.htm

And here's a set of very infomative photos that I have never made public before that is sure to intrigue many of you here. LOTS OF SURPRISES if you review them all!

Be sure to note the interior hatch area shot of the Pantera kit car to see how much cargo space you loose when you convert to a Pantera Hatch Kit. Start here to see a set of photos being shown for the first time.

Important NOTE: Disregard the page titles that say "2003 West Coast Z Car Nationals" Not intending to make this photo display public until I had edited all down to half as many photos, I failed to edit my slide show template Header Titles before uploading everything to my web server last year.

http://www.zparts.com/events/zfest2002/index.html

Enjoy,

SLEEK Z

Evilrufus & 280Zone

IMHO, you all would be miles ahead of the "buying a mold game" if you just put your brain power, hands and money into making your own one off Pantera hatch restyle piece rather than dreaming of tempting someone like the seasoned owner of Arizona Z Car with offers on bits & pieces of his hard earned stash.

All it'll take ya is tons of time, decent talent and enough money in the bank to see it through to the end.

Once you've knocked out a quality mold you'll be off to the races of fame and fortune. Your first sale will come quick 'cause you will be in a state of "pumped" and car nuts like that. Same with your second, but with a surprise "gotcha" or two mixed in. Your 5th may not get shipped until months after deadline, but it'll happen. At 10, if it happens, you may believe that you've broken even, but may still feel a bit uneasy about that assumption deep in your gut?

After that your profits may grow, but getting to 20 most likely wiil take you a year or two. Of course, you will now be divorced, or at least "very single", your Z car project under a tarp and looking for cheaper shop rent or a vacant corner in a farmer's barn, but you will definitely be "THE PANTERA HATCH REPLACEMENT KING of the WORLD" and probably have a website proclaiming just that.

After that, you most likely wiil then be on a first name basis with the owner of Arizona Z Car, maybe even taking him to lunch on a regular basis (because, you know what "loves company") and be asking him regularly about what the potential may be "....to sell your molds for big bucks?

No doubt, soon after, you will find yourselves, company and molds for sale, being discussed frequently at HybridZ!

Of course this is all just conjecture on my part. I could be terribly off base and out of touch with the market?

Good Luck,

I agree with you, Luckily I don't need to make a Pantera hatch mold as I have the quality one that Arizona Z Car used to make his mold. I have had quotes to make a mold from it and it was in the $1000 range. I tried to gather up enough buyers to justify getting one made and didn't get enough takers to justify the decision.

I do know the owner of Arizona Z Car by first name and have for over 15 years. He lives only minutes from me and i see him from time to time. I'd be happy to get a mold made and become the new Pantera Hatch King but i kind of like having a rare item. : )

Guest FinalRights

Can someone give me the measurments of the pantera hatch? I'd like to be able to see how much would need to be added/taken away for this to fit my car. Also,does anyone know the weight of the hatch? The stock hatch on my car weighs a bit over 40lbs.

Dude, the installed Pantera hatch "kit" from the past is nothing more than a stock S30 hatch frame minus the stock glass, weather strip and lower metal section removed and a giant fiberglass "snowshovel" bath tub hung from the cut out opening with small section of plexiglass added for a rear window.

Just measure a stock S30 hatch frame on someone's 70-78 car, subtract the weight of the glass (aprox 14 lbs) and some projected removed metal and then guesstimate how much the thin fiberglass tub and plexiglass window will add to the frame and you'll be within 10% accuraccy of final results.

Just study the many photos of the blue one I photographed for inquiring minds like yours, that I posted the link to previously and you can figure it all out in practical terms. From the photos you can clearly see how wide the fiberglass "bath tub" insert and it's hanger lip are within an inch or less. Then "do the math" on your Z31 hatch.

Guest FinalRights

I would say it would be easier to just do my own,but I'm not really knowledgable about working with fiberglass. I think I'll have to go do some research,and just do my own. I would think it will come out cheaper then buying one and adapting it to my car. Is the hatch flat,or does it slope up? In the pictures it seems to slope up,but it could be an effect from the sides.

Guest FinalRights

After about 10 minutes of searching on google,I now have all sorts of links on making carbon fiber and fiberglass parts. Since I'll probably be doing some auto-x/drifting,I think fiberglass would be the better choice for parts.