HybridZ

turbo air stacks????

Guest ON3GO

i have no clue what they are called.

but im looking for those air horn type things for the turbo... you see it on turbos with/out intake filters.

was looking for one for my T04E..

thanks

mike

I'm advising you not to get one just because I'm not having any luck helping you out with what the hell they are called, or where to get one :D

I'm working on it ;) I think they're cool looking but I'd personally use a filter... Turbos are too delicate to be sucking dust through.

Bad idea! No airfilter on your new/expensive turbo/engine is a sure way to have to purchase more parts and picking up HOT air from engine compartment doesn't make power either. I 've seen such airhorns pick up a bird- most nasty! did not hurt engine but very gross-luckly car was not intercooled or would it have been worse. Make a good cold air system,you will be happier.

Guest bastaad525
Bad idea! No airfilter on your new/expensive turbo/engine is a sure way to have to purchase more parts and picking up HOT air from engine compartment doesn't make power either. I 've seen such airhorns pick up a bird- most nasty! did not hurt engine but very gross-luckly car was not intercooled or would it have been worse. Make a good cold air system,you will be happier.

I agree 100%... people who dont run filters on street driven cars are throwing money into the fire... not to insult anyone but this is just plain stupidity. People started doing this because everyone wants to emulate what they see being done on really fast cars i.e. race cars, which are driven on a track where running filterless on a motor that will be rebuilt very often (as opposed to our motors that we expect 200,000 miles out of ) is not a problem. I cringe every time I see someone with webers or mikunis just running open air horns... you have NO idea how much dust and dirt is getting sucked into your engine this way... and I really would risk it even less with a turbo...

I think the same idea applies to K&N filters... I've seen studies done on them that shows that their ability to filter dirt out of the air is actually much lower than a stock filter, and that they really aren't the ideal filter for use on a street driven car. I'm sure someone here has the link to that article... basically the point was that on race motors they are great, and they DO allow much higher airflow than a stock paper filter, but that they just weren't really filtering and much more dirt gets in there with one installed... it's really food for thought... anyone have the link to that article?

AHAHAHHAHA

well i gotta find away to do it fast so i can do that RB26 swap i wanna do.

plus i guess im truly sick in the head and just wanna see my Z on jackstands its whole life..

mike

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I think the same idea applies to K&N filters... I've seen studies done on them that shows that their ability to filter dirt out of the air is actually much lower than a stock filter, and that they really aren't the ideal filter for use on a street driven car. I'm sure someone here has the link to that article... basically the point was that on race motors they are great, and they DO allow much higher airflow than a stock paper filter, but that they just weren't really filtering and much more dirt gets in there with one installed... it's really food for thought... anyone have the link to that article?

I was up with you until that... Where on Earth did you hear that K&N filters arent good? I have used both K&N and standard paper filters, and I can personally vouch for the fact that K&N filters stop a lot of dirt. My K&N filter would get dirty much faster than a paper filter. The primary difference between a K&N filter and a paper filter is the fact that the K&N filter has the screen material to hold its form so it doesnt close up around itself. I would find it VERY hard to believe that anyone could prove anything remotely close to saying that K&N filters arent effective filters. It sounds to me more like something conjured up by the companies that make standard filters and are hoping people will believe them because the average person probably is going to see it as believable since they figure that if the K&N filters let more air through, they are probably letting more dirt through.

I stand by K&N filters firmly, and would be more likely to perform my own filter test before believing something that says that K&N filters are not effective.

Here is a link for some good information:

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm

Guest bastaad525

I was looking for that link... coulda swore I found it at zhome.com... somewhere. Anyways, not saying I believe 100% in that one either, as I do still use a K&N myself. BUT, I can see how it COULD be a case of something originally done in racing that carried over to street cars because it seems 'cool' but may not be the best thing for street driving (just like the idea of running open air horns). Anyways this article talks about a controlled study where the K&N's and stock paper filters were put into some kinda suction machine and a small, measured amount of very fine dust was poured into the air stream and they measured how much dust got past each filter, and the K&N let something like 7x as much dust pass thru. You know... if you hold a K&N up to a light and look thru it, it's not so hard to believe... the spacing of the fibers leaves a lot of open 'holes' that I'm sure dust COULD get thru.

On a further note, and I know this isn't super scientific but it is my observation... when I used to run the stock filter and housing on my 280zx, and I would change the filter, I would run my finger along the inside of the pipe where it went into the rubber boot, just to see how much dirt was built up there. Then when I switched to a K&N, and used just a white, PVC pipe to attach it too, the first time I took it off for cleaning my eyes bugged out... there was a very visible layer of dust built up inside of the PVC pipe, and when I ran my finger across the inside of it it came back MUCH more dirty than it had when I was running the stock filter... again... not very scientific, but it is what I observed. If anything it definately was not any less dirt buildup than with the stock filter.

We have had a company here in my hometown (in northern Sweden), that manufactures military veichles, to perform a test on some filters.

They tested K&N, BMC Twincone and Lintec filters.

The filtration capability were similar to all of them (the K&N though, being on the worse side), but the pressure drop was way higher on the K&N with the BMC being the best.

Our company sells all of these filters, so we had no pre-settled opinions.

Don't want to make friends or fou with anyone, just wanted you to know.

Anyone go with what you think works best... icon_ohyeah.gif