HybridZ

Heat soak

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I just had a few minutes to stop by my local mechanic's shop and try to provoke my 83 I/C'd 280ZXT into its poor restart mode, which happens after the car has been driven to full warmth, shut down for 10-30+ mins, then restarted.

The tech seems to think it may be heat soak. I have collected a whole list of other posts on what else to check with my engine from this list, but I was thinking it all might be b/c the intercooler sits in front of the radiator, and perhaps it is somehow obstructing air getting into the engine enough, especially since I almost always use the turbo timer for 2-3mins at idle before shut off!

The I/C installer also had pulled off the air conditioner fan, which was too wide to put the I/C in front of. He basically questioned whether I'd even need another fan, "maybe in the summer in traffic if you use the A/C!"

I'm wondering whether at least one additional electric 12" fan put in between the intercooler and the a/c radiator might be of some use in cooling the engine after idle/shut off/restart causes poor idling/stallouts/no power/sputtering. Better yet, if my hypothesis has any worth, wouldn't it be better to wire an additional small fan into the two turbo vent ducts in the hood, and have them wired to come on for a few minutes after the engine shuts off?

Anyone have any parts suppliers for such a thing? Think I'm just wasting my time, the problem couldn't be "heat soak" in winter? I dunno, but it all seemed to get way more pronounced after the intercooler was installed, not much having to do with outside temp.

John

Guest jjohart

What do you mean by shimming? Is there a double layer of metal that you are suggesting to shave in half? Wouldn't that make the hood really flimsy and easily bent/bruised? Jeesh, sounds kind of masochistic!

John

On my '83 ZXT, if I idle for 10 minutes, the car will shut off, and I have to wait 20-30 mins to sart up again.

Some people say this may be the coil.

Your intercooler probably doesn't have anything to do with the fact that this is happening.

I am going to replace my coil and see if this solves the problem....

I have been having the same problem too. Mine happened after I put in a different radiator than stock into my 78 stock z. I too was thinking about small fans in the vent locations in the hood. I wonder though if that would help at all. Would we be covering up a problem instead of fixing it? I will probably just put a small electric fan infront of the radiator and put a thermostat on it so it can run for 5 minutes or so after shutdown. All my sensors are within 3 years old and all the wiring is the same age too. Wierd though how it happened after the new radiator install. The radiator works great though when I am driving or in traffic. Let me know if anyone finds a fix.

Thanks