HybridZ

weather stripping kits

Guest KillerZees

Guest KillerZees

I was looking at different kits for my car and was just wondering if there is any superior kit on the market. I know of the zcarparts kit and one at datsunrestore.com. they r both 18 piece but im not sure what would work better on my 240...any sugestions or coments from experiences would help. thanx

They are both made by one company: Precision.

The Nissan stuff is the best, but it is sooooo expensive. If they specify a difference between the 240Z and 280Z kits (and they may not), buy a 280Z kit for the 240 (there is a rumor that the door strip allows the 240Z door to shut more easily, but that is from someone in the know). However, they may have caught on and started shipping a universal kit, so it probably makes no difference at that point. The Precision kit is ok and is really the only non-Nissan kit out there--it really comes down to price...

Davy

The difference as I understand it between the 280 door strip and the 240 is that you have to glue the two pieces together (the welt and the seal) on the 240 kit and the 280 kit comes pre assembled.

I bought the Precision kit about 5 years ago for the 240 and the door strips came apart almost immediately. I then bought factory 280 strips from Nissan, which also fell apart. Took those back, got more replacements from Nissan, THOSE fell apart. All of the above required a serious SLAM to get the doors to close. I've heard that the newer Precision kits have softer door seals to prevent that, but I don't know for sure.

The rest of the kit worked great, but I suggest you figure out what JC Whitney door strips work for the Z. If you have to keep replacing them, at least they'll be cheap.

Jon

I used the Precision kit on my car except for the doors. I found the kit to be excellent and all the pieces fit very well. It has a huge amount of rubber seals in the kit and I would bet the bag they come in weighs 30-35 pounds. Just about every seal is in there except for a few of the stranger smaller pieces.

I tried the door seals but they were too thick and a bit harder. I ended up using the factory seals which cost more than the whole Precision kit! However, they do work well. jmortenson is right on the 240 vs. 280 door weatherstrip. The 280 has the welt already installed. This makes installation MUCH easier and provides for a better fit.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2514

Guest KillerZees

yeah that helps alot. I guess Im gonna go with the one from zcarparts they just send you a 280 kit for all the models and its cheaper than the 240 model one. thanx for the input.