HybridZ

Ls1 T56 swap.... anyone got time slips yet?

Guest Blazer406

Guest Blazer406

I was just curious..... I see several people on the board that have done or are doing a LS1 T56 swap in a early Z. I was wondering what kinda times they managed to turn with them. I would think a 240Z with a Ls1 and T56 would come in at least 700# lighter than the donor car was...... therefore..... a LS1 Z car should be almost 3/4 of a second faster..... which should put it down in the low to mid 12's easy. I just wanted to see some actual proof.

I think Lonestar1 in his stock LS1/4L60E auto installed in his 1972? 240z has gone 11.97 and Bill in his LS1/T56 combo in a 280Z has gone traction limited 12.90's.

MAS280? I think went 11.80's in an LT1 280Z.

Mike

When my '77 280Z was converted form the L28 & 5-spd to the LS1 & T56 it went from 2,800 lbs to 2,830 lbs. Unless you are going to strip a lot of stuff off the car in the process of the conversion it is not going to lose weight. Yes, the LS1 is lighter than the L28 but the T56 is heavier than the T-5. Plus, you will need to do structural reinforcements to handle the significant increase in torque and resultant chassis twist.

Also, none of the LS1 cars so far have been completely sorted out with adequate traction, ideal gearing, etc. Their times will basically equivalent to any other engine developing equivalent HP & torque.