HybridZ

HKS super afr, anyone install on stock ecu zxt?

Guest Coloradozxt

Guest Coloradozxt

I have this unit with the HKS signal level converter installed on my 83zxt. Although wiring is easy, I am having some problems with operation under boost because instructions do not cover this specific car. Anyone with experience with these units?

Coloradozxt

Guest Coloradozxt

yo2001, yes we have been corresonding on this but I did not get your response from my last e-mail to you. Your suggestion was to use the Converter white wire as input to the AFR rpm signal wire. This connection allows the car to start and run well under boost, however, it does not seem to allow any fuel or response adjustments and there is no real time rpm or EIDS function display. I am using the 5V-0V range hot wire dipstick configuration.

It last sounded like you used this unit on a Z31 ECU and I don't know if that makes any difference in the wiring connections in my application which of course is the stock S130 turbo ecu.

Can you help?

Mark McCafferty

the wiring should be the same. Only thing different beetween the two ECU is AFM goes from 5v to 0v and MAF goes from 0v to 5v I think.

I can't remember what I did with my wiring but you can hit Forrest on this board because he got my car now and he can look at the wiring on the car.

I'll look over the manual again and see if I can find something to help you

yo2001 - what was your overall impression of the HKS S-AFR? I have one that I got cheap and I wonder if it's worth installing on the 84 ECCS and stock fuel system (except for adjustable FPR, and Bosch fuel pump). Did you use the EIDS? function that supposedly stabilizes rapid A/F changes and let's you run a BOV vented to atmosphere?

Sean

73 240Z. L28ET, 84 ECCS, T3/T04E, NPR IC

Guest bastaad525

ahhhh we need more people who've used these to chime in and give us a good idea of if the things work good or not. Not too many people trying these on '81-83 ECCS... not that long ago it was up in the air if they were even compatible at all. I think these would come in handy on ALL '81-83 systems as it seems they are all programmed to go VERY rich from the moment boost hits until about 4000rpm, I've seen this on my own dyno runs and on other peoples dyno sheets as well... as rich as 10:1 air/fuel ratio from 2500 to 4000rpm.... at the same time they start to run too lean after about 5000rpm... been thinking of getting on of the HKS units to help tune this out.

I think, if they work as well as they are said to work, that combining this with an upgraded fuel pump, and adjustable fuel pressure regulator (NON rising rate) OR bigger injectors (depending on how much hp you are gonna be pushing) would really give you a lot of flexibility. Use the adj. regulator to up fuel pressure (new upgraded pump can handle it no problem) or run bigger injectors to richen up the top end, then use the AFR to lean out the mid... get a nice flat curve and lots of flexibility for very little outlay of cash and very little figuring out to get the unit installed. Sounds good to me....