HybridZ

is 400 ci worth it?

Guest storm280z

Guest storm280z

i have come across a 400sbc(shortblock)for $300. first of the back is this a good deal for the motor. im looking to get somewhere around 400hp out of this motor. How hard is it to make this amount of power out of this motor, and what would need to be done to it? also would it be easier, faster, and cheaper to just go with a 350sbc?

Well first off, it's a really good deal if the motor hasn't been bored out too much. That would be my only concern.

It's easier to get power out of than a 350 since it's bigger, pretty much just as cheap to build as a 350 since almost all of the parts are interchangable.

The only thing I would really recommend to anyone doing a 400 is get a new crank and have it internally balanced, it gives you a lot more flywheel options.

No 400 ci. but a 383 stroker, I think we talked/pm. When the weather gets better we should all get together..folks in the Metroplex!

We have gotten together at Ennis for a little racing in the past. Lot's of good people with plenty of knowledge in DFW area.

Warm weather is around the corner. Time to get the stickey tires out and shoot for the 10's :D

Mike

Yeah, 400ci would be nice. I'm just about finished with my turbo swap, so I have yet to see how much more power I want.

Mike, another gathering of the local guys (Houston too) would be great! Especially with the end of this evil cold in sight. Hopefully I'll have my swap done by then, it would give a pretty good excuse to get a new set of tires. :twisted:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
im looking to get somewhere around 400hp out of this motor.

You can just about get that stock. A new intake, headers, and a big carb and you should have 400HP at the crank.

Guest SLICK RICK

If you get it go with the longer rods, 5.7 or 6.0.

It is a better ratio and the only after market cranks out there have the counter weights shaped for the longer rod.

Is a 400 worth it? Pete Paraska ditched a very nice 327 in favor of a 406(400 block bored .030 over) and Grumpyvette has repeatedly said that a 406 is the way to go if you want power w/o much effort. In other news, Zfan is now well into the 11's with a 383 rather than his old 350, and Don Manzo is knocking on the 10-second door also with a daily-driver 383.

How fast do you want to go? A 350 Z will be faster than most cars as it is, if this isn't good enough for you than step up to a 383 or 400. :D

Guest Fastest240z
slick rick you said get longer rods' date=' what will that do for me.

please explain.[/quote']

The longer the rod the smaller the angle of the rod to the cyclinder wall when the piston nears the bottom of the hole. If you use the axis of the bore as a center line and you imagine the piston nearing the bottom as the crank spins around the conecting rod is not in line with the bore. It rotates through an 'arch' and the longer the rod the smaller the 'arch'. Who cares? Well the sharper(wider) angles created by the shorter rods creates more side load on the piston and increases wear. These are bad things! If you are building a SBC 400" and you have to buy new pistons, it is very easy to just buy ones made for a 6" rod. The stock rod for the 400 is 5.56" and all other SBC's are 5.7". When you can buy a good set of H beam cap screw rods on Ebay for $300 you would be a fool to use a stock rod. It is cheap insurance. Just my two cents.

Mark

Just a note on some other differences from the 350:

The rod bolts run very close to the cam lobes, they like roller cams and lifters that can deal with the smaller base circle needed with radical cam profiles, not a problem, just something to be aware of.

The deck has two steam holes between each cylinder that pass through the head gasket and into matching holes in the head deck, when swapping heads these should be drilled into the head deck if they are not present, and the cylinders are siamesed, so the coolant cavity is split in two in each bank.

Guest Fastest240z
im knocking on 11`s with a mostly stock 400 (12.2 @111 mph) with some tuning left.

std. bore' date=' flattops, stock heads #882 , Lt1 cam (.460 lift), 1.6 rockerarms, 830 dp carb

Mark[/quote']

Mine runs 6.41 @ 104 in the 1/8 with flat tops(pump gas), a hydraulic cam (.514/.524) and Motown 220cc heads(ported).

Mark

P.S. The motor is for sale! $3500.

I agree that the 400 is the way to go. I have one question, though, what are people doing for harmonic balancer and flywheel? The 400 was externally balanced, so unless you are going to have it internally balanced, you'll need to keep the externally balanced flywheel. Also the harmonic balancer for the 400 is larger than the 350, and I think there are clearance problems.

These same problems must be addressed for the 383 since you are using the same crank. Obviously people have found solutions, what kind of added expense does this entail?