HybridZ

alright I give, M30 R200 isn't VLSD, but an interesting idea

Mack

well, like someone on here siad, the M30 R200 isn't a VLSD unit, I just had to find out for myself. pulled it all apart and the only thing is has is 4 spider gears for some god forsaken reason. sure looks like an LSD when you pull off the rear cover and take a quick peek! lol anyway..... here is a dumb idea.... so, it has a 47:12 ratio, or about 3.92. it shares this ratio and teeth count with the infiniti J30. ALL J30's have VLSD, its a known fact. so, can I take the guts out of a J30 short snout R200 VLSD and swap it into the M30 long snout R200? how do the input shafts work on a VLSD? are they specific to the VLSD?

I know that I could probably pull the ABS sensor off of the M30 diff to make it the exact same lenght as the Z R200's. I am just looking for a cheaper alternative to the Uber rare, Uber expensive 300zx turbo LSD. besides, VLSD sounds like fun, especially for a street car.

McAdam

If you had the VLSD carrier you could measure them out to make sure they are the same. You'd need to measure the diameter, the step, the journals, and the pilot I think. The ABS comment makes me think that it has a "tone ring" (toothed gear looking thing) on the carrier. Most of the time these are pressed onto the carrier near the ring gear, and can be pressed right off. Sometimes the tone ring is actually part of the carrier, but usually the step dimension is the same for an ABS or non ABS carrier, so unless the ring hits the inside of the case, it shouldn't matter. If it did hit you could probably grind a little off the case for clearance. I can't really think of any other problems, other than the spline count on the side gears, or maybe a different circlip holding the axles in the side gears...

Diameter = diameter of the carrier where the 4 spiders are

Step = If you set it down on end the distance from the table to the surface where the ring gear sits.

Journals = where the bearings go on

Pilot = The area where the ring gear gets pressed onto the carrier.

I would imagine they are the same, but it sure would be nice if someone had the measurements so that you didn't have to disassemble 2 diffs to find out.

4 pinion diffs are stronger than 2 pinion, so the fact that it is a 4 pinion open carrier is only partially bad.

EDIT--Reading again looks like maybe the tone ring is on the pinion. Still probably wouldn't affect the carrier.

Good luck.

Jon