HybridZ

help me make a decision guys!

Guest bigjim240z

Guys, take a look at the results of the southeast Z shootout, and you'll see a 6 can run darned good! TT L6, or GN V6, or a Z31 or Z32 Turbo. The V8's there ran good, but not as fast. I'm sure that's because of a small sampling - there are known 9 second V8Zs, and some streetable 10 and 11 second ones too.

Me, I like the V8. But for reasons other than drag racing. I wanted an old-school hotrod with a beautiful body style that handled well. Hopefully I'll get the engine straighted out a bit more (working on a CHEAP EFI setup now) and fix the suspension in the rear (less camber) and get some softer tires on (they're 6 years old and HARD) and practice my launch and be able to get into the 12s like I think the car should be able to do. 12s will be fine, thanks.

One thing a smaller turbo motor won't do for you is give that deep, lopey exhaust note. To me, that's worth alot too. You wouldn't believe the people who came to look at my car in the gas stations on my trip when they heard it roll in. A quiet turbo motor just won't get that attention, even if it is faster. It's the total package and what you want out of it.

They're all correct choices - just different.

You could turbocharge the V8, but unless you feel like shelling out big bucks it won't be as reliable as a built n/a. Besides, n/a small-block chevy performance parts are so cheap and even a mild V8 in a sub-3000 pound car like the Z is so quick there's not really a point on the street, as once you've broken traction it doesn't matter how much power you have in tap (see Darius video). For a race car, of course, anything goes.

Hey,

I thought you needed to replace the non-FI gas tanks in older Zs with the one from the FI car if you're gonna run an FI engine. Noone's mentioned that. Do you need to do that step? My '72 has two fuel pumps, although my understanding is that the electric one was an option for easier starting. Anyone know the story on those?

Guest Anonymous

The quick and dirty solution is a surge tank. Stock fuel lines supplying a low pressure amount to the tank and a high pressure pump from there, the tank could be big enough to supply demand to quite a large hp motor. Thats how I plan to do it anyway, I know a fuel cell and new lines is the way to do it if you have the money, but we'll see. I'm thinking put the surge tank in one of the old tool holds behind the passenger and make a more positive locking cover (dzus fasteners maybe?) and just go big fuel lines from there forward. Just an idea.

As far as the turbo, I donno obviously Davy and I are co-conspiritors on making a Chevy turbo V8 z happen, but the cheap parts are even a better reason IMHO to turbo one. I can probably build a forged low compression chevy sb for as cheap as anyone could put together a 280zxt short block. It'll be just as reliable, put out more hp on less boost and the plus is it'll idle like a kitten without a big rumpety rump cam.

Thats my big issue with HP chevy motors running on the street, you can build a radical motor cheap, but then you have to live with its radical nature. If you've ever been in one with a huge cam in a manual trans car, it just about shakes your eyeballs out if your just idling around the parking lot, not something I like and I've experienced it. As I say, just an opinion, some love the big cam sound and dig driving it, me give me a stock quiet idle thats lethal as heck when floored and I'm a happy old vato.. :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: On traction and this is definitely MY opinion, once you get to a certain point HP wise, you really need to go live axle or a high hp Vette or Jag rear end. I know the R230 is a big ol rear end, but any solution that uses the stock stub axles is going to fail at some point IMHO.

Turbo V8 is not cheap but way cool. I f your on a tight budget build a V8 with a bullit proof bottom end and throw 100-200 shot of juice at it and it will be hard to beat.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Lone, there are ways around the agony of the big, lopey cams. I've seen a couple of dual pattern rollers in cars around here that don't really perform poorly on the bottom end and around town like the older type cams do. Another big plus would be FI as it does enable you to run wilder cams with much better efficiency than a carb.There are alot of TPI camaros and firebirds running 12's and are being driven to and from the track 50-60 miles each way.

Guest Anonymous

I hear you Les, I know its possible to run dual pattern cams and still get awesome performance and its probably crazy to even think turbo V8, but its what me and my associate kinda want. I have the turbo, and a great single plane manifold thats ready to convert, needed will be throttle body and all associated sensors, computer and wiring. A word on EFI and big cams, unless you have a adjustable (after market or something thats programmable) they don't really care for wilder cams from the research I've done on it. But if you have the fuel map adjustability they offer great performance as you mentioned.

Like I say its probably overkill, but a blower on a SBC no matter if its turbo or superturbocharger like a ATI just has something about it thats attractive to me. I prefer the turbo method just because of the lack of gear whine, some like it, not so much for me. (I could settle for a baby holley blower though for low boost and a good increase in power at a reasonable price) Its perhaps a project that I'll never get to for myself, for my associate it'll definitely happen and I want to be a part of it.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Wow, cool Pete, thanks man thats pretty cool. TBI is a consideration too, its fuel requirements require fewer mods (little bigger pump and stock fuel lines) and with a few big 454 injectors and throttle body it'll do the job I think, still be way better than a carb thats for sure.

For ignition on a boosted setup, I guess a guy could run one of those MSD BTD units to back off timing per pounds of boost or something, or a stand alone ignition computer. This looks interesting thanks for sharing it. BTW is this the computer those guy from DIY-EFI came up with?

Thanks again,

Lone

Whatcha gonna use for a TB? salvage yard GM unit?

I'm seriously considering converting my truck to EFI and that Megasquirt has alot of good features - price chief among them.

I looked around, but seemed to only run across examples where people used existing EFI TBs (BMW, Audi, Saab, etc.). Nothing similar to anything I'd be able to adapt (easily) for my truck.

What about using an old carb though? Take out all the carby stuff (bowl(s), jets, etc), and then drill a set of stepped holes for the injectors. Might be too much hassle....

Lone, if you're going budget EFI, look at the Megasquirt. $125 for the kit, get a buddy to solder it up, and get a TB, sensors, etc. Cheaper than a Commander 950, tunable, lots of "free" support with a users group. Only problem is its DIY and only does the injection, not ignition. This is what I'm doing (but with TBI) in the near future.

Guest Anonymous

On using a Carb for TB, I was thinking the same thing, the only deal is, TB's don't need the venturi to do what they do. I was seriously considering just pulling the bottom off a holley carb and bolting on a thick slab of billet and boring the holes to match the throttle plate and call it good. Of course you'd need to mount a TPS and IAC somehow, which wouldn't be rocket science.

If your going to multiport injection and a 2bbl throttle body will work for you, find a 454 TBI throttle body, remove the large injectors and block off they're opening with a aluminum block off plate and they'll work great. Its already has the TPS on it and the IAC so it'll do the trick. I got this from a rather good F.I. book I got that had done that very thing. Just a few things I've found while reseaching it.

Regards,

Lone

Sorry didn't mean to continue stealing either, but it got into a interesting sidetrack here.