HybridZ

how much can a VG30E motor be bored out.

Guest Kroi300

Guest Kroi300

what is the maximum cubic inch or liter amount you can get out of the VG30E motor. Not the turbo engine. I'm trying to get as much torque and horsepower out of the motor as I can. I really don't want a turbo charger on it. I prefer superchargers but one is not made for that motor, at least I haven't found one. I want the motor to be all motor with no add ons.

Guest Dan0myte

Not very far at all.

Grab the block out of a 1996 - 1998 Pathfinder. It came with the VG33E engine, identical to the VG30E but with much thicker castings which allowed the engineers to overbore the engine quite a bit. You can actually overbore the VG33E a little more and install Infiniti Q45 pistons, which gets you 10:1 compression and 3.4 litres of displacement. Extremely torquey setup.

Guest Kroi300

Will the 85 300zx non turbo trans bolt up to the VG33E motor since you said it was identical. Is it DOHC? I was looking up on it and I think it is, but I'm still not sure. I'm thinking about putting the VG33E engine in my 1985 300zx and boring it out with Infinity Q45 Pistons. I'm looking on how to get the most torque out of the motor as possible without switching to the small block chevy, that takes a lot of modifications and custom work, stuff that I'm not wanting to get into right now. How much horsepower would the VG33E motor with the Q45 pistons produce?

Guest Dan0myte

The VG33E is single overhead cam. It's almost identical to the VG30E in every way, bolt patterns and everything. The only difference is the added thickness of the material allowing larger pistons.

A guy who did a VG34E hybrid was producing around 240hp.

Guest Kroi300

what type of vehicle does a VG34E go into to? What is a hybrid? Does nissan make a DOHC engine identical to the VG30E so I can bolt it up directly to my nissan 300zx?

Guest Dan0myte

"VG34E" is a nickname for putting Q45 pistons into the 3.3 litre engine. It makes it 3.4 litres, so if Nissan had actually produced it they would have named it the VG34E.

VG33E=SOHC (if DOHC would be a VG33DE) Nissan's engine codes are fairly simple once you know what to look for ---

first letters are the engine family

the numbers are the displacement in liters

the following letters designate type of cam drive and such---

D=DOHC E=EFI T=Turbocharged

if no letters follow displacement, it means you have a carbureted, SOHC or OHV , non-turbo engine.

VG33E was introduced in the 1996 pathy but later extended to the Frontier in 1999. The Xterra came out later the same yr. with that engine. (after the Pathy introduced the AWESOME VQ35DE to the world!) Nissan still uses the VG33E in the Frontier and Xterra.

On the supercharger issue: They make one now. 2000-2004 frontiers, 2001-2004 X-terras were available with a VG33E(S?) engine. Factory displacement 200cid, fact. HP 210@4400 tq 240@2800.

For you torque junkies that want to keep a 6-cyl under the hood that's a Nissan, the 2005 Frontier is coming out with a FOUR LITER VQ40DE!

In truck trim, 240hp and undisclosed torque, but being the 350Z has about 265lb. ft......I'm drooling already....that VQ40DE might just make me revise my LS1 dream.

Imagine that.....at this rate everyone will have big blocks again by 2010!

Hehehe

Guest Kroi300

that much torque really isn't that much to me, I'm looking for 450 to 500 lb.ft of torque. I have a 69 camaro with over 500 horsepower and 550 lb.ft. with 250 shot of NOS added, but no import racers will race me because my car is american, so I wanted to make my 300zx all power. But it doesn't seem like that much, I'll just stick with the old muscle cars.

That's cool....I don't have a '69 camaro, but at home (in PA) I have a 1969 buick sportwagon (hey, it's really rare, OK??) that I put a 430 (actually 440 cuz' it's .030 over) Buick big block into. It's not built big-time, mainly for longevity (head and main brg. studs, hi-vol oil pump, double-roller chain, chain oil squirter, and modified the lifter oiling system a lil-bit.) It "only" puts out about 400hp so I wouldn't line it up against your camaro because that 4,400lb wagon would get seriously smoked :-D The main thing about that motor is the torque....I've never had it dynoed but it has so much torque that with my foot on the brake as hard as I can push it it still overpowers the rear wheels, and there is so much weight in the back of the car (all kinds of junk I don't know what to do with is in the back of the wagon) that instead of spinning the tires it PUSHES THE LOCKED FRONT WHEELS AS THE CAR STARTS ACCELERATING...she'll STILL hit 30mph, pushing the locked front wheels and overpowering the rears, in about 10 seconds! So....I do know what "real" torque is...but I'm looking in the perspective of a 2,900lb z-car..(well in your case about 3100) ..can you imagine what 350lb. ft. of torque and 300hp would do? (can't imagine a VG33E with a blower having much trouble putting out that kind of power...the factory super charged VG33 dosen't even have an intercooler)

My STOCK 280z can give(stock) vettes of that era a run for thier money, especially when the road starts turning.

That's with about 120rwhp and 150rwtq.

Good luck on your swap, and hey, musclecars are the shiznick but why not do the z and really suprise some people?

best ET so far stock unopened (oil burning) L28E motor and 4-speed, 3.54 open R200 was 15.7@86.6...since then I've put a 280zx 5-speed and a 3" exhaust on it....wish me luck..I hope I didn't make it even slower :roll:

The kicker is I didn't lose ANY low-end with that 3" and flowmaster..it now just pulls stronger from 1,000 to 4,500rpm! (and it will actually rev to 5,500 now...holy-moley!)

Guest Kroi300

my camaro weighs 3100 lbs. and it runs 11.8 at 126 mph. I just need ideas on how to get as much torque out of my 85 300 zx before I go turbo, I know what fast is and that's what I'm expecting out of that 300zx. I just wanna know everything to do to get it to that. Any little upgrades will help.

Hmm....I don't know that much about the VG's, I'm only going on the specs of the frontiers and such....IMO the swap would make a killer 300z (330z?).... the q45 piston Idea is pretty tight too. 500lb ft? I don't think that's possible with 200cid without some kind of power adder .

But that's just my .02---a v-8 swap would be the best bet for that kind of power.

Guest Kroi300

Doing a v8 swap, you have to have everything custom, nobody makes a swap kit, and I don't know that much nor do I plan on putting myself through that about a v8 swap in that car. Its the only car I got for a daily driver, the camaro is a sure enough show car and not a daily driver. I would love to do a v8 swap since I know a lot about chevy small block v8 but doin the swap is what I don't know.

The daily driver thing kinda limits the options a bit, cuz while u were working on the z the camaro would be a daily driver...etc. I want to do some stuff to my z but since it's my only car I have to resort to getting another motor and building it up. I plan (for now) on getting an 81-83 zx n/a block and rebuilding it (boring it .120 over and putting in the 3.5" pistons) then slapping a worked maxima N-42 head on it. It won't give me 500lb. ft. but it'll be good for about 300hp and commensurate torque. My z could be lighter, (with my little 155lb frame, and my lifelong possessions in the cargo area...I'm in the navy and live on a ship so my car is..literally...my house when in port...my car is pushing 3,200lb, but 300hp still would make a quick daily driver. ) WHere did nissan put the weight? beats the heck out of me. How do you have a car smaller than a civic that is pushing 3,000 pounds?? (and still has doors that "clang" when you shut them! ) I guess that's why they can handle V-8 torque and 11-second 1/4 mile times with minimal reinforcement, while the civics are breaking axles and tearing apart thier trannies when they hit low 14's!

Speaking of the motor thing....did you know your generation Z had an inline 6 similar to the RB26? Get some jap-spec mounts and an RB motor and trans, and throw some boost at it and you're at your torque goals!

But realistically I think for a daily driver 300 to 350lb. ft. would be plenty...of course you can never have enough, but much more torque than that and your Z probably won't be any faster, just will be a really big pen using rubber for ink :lol: (not that there's anything wrong with that)

• 1 year later...