HybridZ

Holley Stealth Ram vs. TPIS Mini Ram

Guest the_dj

the steath ram has an effective rpm range of about 4000-6500rpm (depends on displacement and cam used, its runners are 6.3" long and its good for about 65-75 hp more than a TPI intake in the 4000-6800rpm range, its runner length makes reasonable torque even at lower rpms, yes youll loose some torque compared to the TPI intake but not a huge amount.

the tpi mini-ram has runners only about 3" long it makes about 50hp-55hp on average (not the 100hp they claim)more than the TPI intake and makes much less low rpm torque than either the stock TPI or the stealth ram , is operational range is about 5500-7500rpm (again, it depends on displacement and cam used,)the only point I see in its favor is hood clearance Ive run all 4 common intakes

ported tpi

super ram

mini ram

stealth ram

the ported tpi gained me about 20hp over the stock TPI.(power range, 1500-4500rpm

super ram gained me about 45hp over the stock TPI(power range 2000-5500rpm)

the mini ram ram gained me about 55hp over the stock TPI but lost torque below 5000rpm(power range about 5500-7500rpm)

the stealth ram gained me about 68 average hp and close to 90hp at peak but lost torque below 4000rpm compared to the stock TPI intake (power range about 4000-6800rpm)

now keep in mind Ive got a full roller 383 11:1cpr with ported trickflow heads and full length headers, the stock TPI totally strangles that engines airflow above 4500rpm, so any intake system that flows more air lets the engine breath and produce better hp, the steath ram and the other intakes require a cam and headers to effectively use the better airflow

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=subcategory&subcategoryid=1125

now if hood clearance is a big problem you can run this type MPFI,holley, edelbrock and others make or can convert most single plane intakes to EFI

bbc1.gif

OK. First off, I have been eyeing the Stealth Ram for a while, and came to this realization:

YES it is cheaper, but is it still cheaper after a 2" hood cowl and paint install?

I am considering the prices even because of that.

Also, the TPIS system allows me that stock look. Any reason that I shouldn't use it unstead of the Holley setup? Do they have pretty comparable flow and such?

Sam

the EFI converted super victor intake I used on my vette for awhile made better hp than the mini-ram at all rpm ranges and about the same as the steath ram over most of the rpm range, in fact it made about 5hp more hp than the steath ram above 6800rpm and about 15 less hp in the 4000-6200rpm range, the only reason I swapped to the steath ram was to pick up low and mid range torque (which the steath ram did do) but over-all the EFI converted super victor intake proved to be a good choice(just be sure the injector bungs dont stick into and partly block airflow in the runners when you have the conversion done) btw heres a guy that does that conversion

[ tell him (GRUMPYVETTE sent you)

if you want a factory efi intake

9901-101-1.jpg

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/AMS/AMSM/9901-101-1.html

this intake requires minor porting to smooth and open the area near the injector bungs as they stick into the runners if over 480 hp is needed, but it does have the advantage that its cheaper than converting a super victor if your buying one (super victor )new plus the converion costs,the holley is a direct bolt-on and fuel rails,throttle bodies etc are readily available from holley

BTW youll need one of these if your running a M.A.F. EFI system

m7.gif

http://www.ramairbox.com/parts.html