HybridZ

timing chain question.... ??

CarJway

How much play should the timing chain have in it? because i was about to adjust my valves and i felt the chain. I could lift it off like 3-5 teeth off the gear. I think that is just a little to much play. Could this be causing my car to have like a studder, no power along the rpm band problem ? Befor i stumbled along this I changed the AFM and injectors, thinking that was the cause. But wouldn't the chain being so loose cause the timing to be retarded and causing all my problems ?

carlos

I would think there would be a point where the chain would be loose enough to throw the timing (advance or retard) all over.. but at this point, it might jump a tooth, which will really mess with the timing! Get a service manual and check the spec on it.. it should say how much play/slop is allowable.

Check to see if the cam timing is off (if you don't know how, look it up in a service manual). If it's off and set to #1 hole then your chain is stretched. You could set it to #2 or #3, whichever puts it on (or closest to) the proper timing ("line" in the "V"). If it was out of cam time the performance will improve, but I wouldn't leave it at that. Replace the chain if you're on hole #3 and the cam timing isn't advanced some. If, on hole #3 the timing is OK, make a note that you need a chain but might make it until you tear into the front of the engine for some other reason (such as not wedging a block into the lower chain when you adjust the cam sprocket position), or until summer comes around, etc. DAW

Assuming that the timing chain is O.K., and the timing chain hasen't slipped a gear, it should be assumed that tighening the chain tensioner will so the trick? Check that the chain tensioners are not too worn. (I guess I can't tell you quite that.) Otherwise readjust the chain tensioners. That should take care of it.

Well took the valve cover off... Chain is tight all of a sudden... I orderded a Factory Service Manual on tuesday so it should be here by tomorrow so i can set the timing and see whats wrong with this thing... I guess i will post tomorrow and see what I find... Hey thanks for all your help so far guys... Really appreciate all the help...