HybridZ

Fuel pump is always on

As I understand if, the fuel pump should only be on when the AFM is moving or the engine is cranking, whenever I turn the key to ON, the fuel pump kicks in immediatly. The guy I got the car from had just put in a new fuel pump, and at first I thought he might have screwed with the wiring, but I don't see any splices or anything out of the ordinary.

The manual I have doesn't really help me too much, its for a 75 and my car is a 76. The relays and wiring are just different enough to make the manual useless.

Could the fuel pump relay be stuck on?

If the key is set to ON should you be able to turn the fuel pump on and off by messing the AFM flap?

I thought I had tried everything, but typing this post out made me think of some things I haven't checked. But if anyone can think of anything, it would be much appreciated.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I wouldnt think that would be a problem. If the pump was only supposed to be on when the AFM was open, then you would need to have your foot on the pedal to start the car and keep it idling. It has always been my understanding that the fuel pump should be on when the ign is in the ON and START positions.

Actually, No Nic, you wouldn't need to keep your foot on the throttle. There is a switch in the AFM that cuts power to the pump when the flap closes, but if it is open even a little (like when the engine is running and sucking air in; at idle or higher rpm's) the pump will run. Now as for the pump running continuisly with the engine not on, there might be something wrong there... that's the same thing mine does.. but my wiring has been hacked/re-wired by the previous owner, so I have a lot more things to look into. Id try to locate a relay for your pump... maybe a short somewhere?