HybridZ

SBC 377 question

If u used 400 pistons, 400 block, 5.7 rods, 350 crank, where would that put the piston. If im not mistaken that would put the piston right at the top of the deck. And is it the same as 377. Give me a little input, i have some extra parts laying around and i was thinking of putting together a budget 377.

James B.

To answer your question.....Yes & No.

Yes 1/2 of 3.48 = 1.74" Crank Throw + 5.7" Con Rod + 400 Piston Compression Height of 1.560 will equal 9.025". This is the length of your Block Deck Height on both the 350 and 400 SBC's: providing your 400 has not been decked.

If I'm not mistaken...and I may be: but I believe the side clearance at the big end of the rod's on a 400 have a wider beam than on the 350. This means your 350 rods will be narrower and side clearances will not line up.

The 400 crank main also has a wider diameter than the 350 crank main: requiring an aftermarket crank (expensive :shock: ) or utilizing spacer bearings on the 350 crank.

Someone else a little more knowledgeable on the 377 build up needs to chime in on whether the 350 rods can actually be used in the 400 block.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)