HybridZ

LS1 auto to 6 speed conversion

As I have stated before I really want to put a 6 speed LS1 into my 240Z. I had bought a 2001 Camaro LS1 and 6 speed and I had it stored at a friends shop. He kept on bugging me to sell it to him for his jeep and since I wasn't ready to do the swap yet I sold it to him. I guess seeing it sitting in the corner of his shop got him motivated to start and now he is nearly finished. So much for having the drivetrain for my Z and it was such a good deal .

Anyway, I have a line on a 1999 LS1 with an auto trans. for a good price and I was wondering what I would need to do to change the trans to a 6 Speed.

I know I will need the 6 speed trans. with bellhousing, clutch,pp, t/o bearing, flywheel, slave cylinder. I guess the pilot bearing too.

Will I need a wiring harness from a 6 speed too? Will the starter from the auto work with the flywheel. What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

I really like to shift the car otherwise I would conside the Auto. Can anyone convince me otherwise? I plan on some track/autox use and weekend cruiser.

TIA

I did the very same thing. Got a deal on a LS1/A4, sold the A4 and bought a T56.

Wiring harness is fine. You just cut off the chunk of wires that go to the auto. The PCM will need to be reflashed since the programming is completely different.

You will of course need the clutch and flywheel. Starter is fine.

One thing, the A4 is a fat bastard and will require extensive bashing of the tunnel to fit. So, in other words, it'd suck to try and fit it knowing you will then want to switch to T56 later.

Also, the 2 'missions are different lengths. So driveshaft sill need to be shorter and the mount will need to move.

The 4l60e will fit in your car just fine

That is not true. According to his username (qwik240z), he has a 240Z. The A4 is much too fat to fit without smashing up the tunnel. Plus, there is very little room for exhaust and the shifter lever is very much in the way. Clearly it can be made to fit, but it is a good bit of work. (280 tunnel is quite different from the 240)

Don't forget the pilot bearing.

That's a good point. The pilot bearing, which is the slave cylinder, is a bit of a chore to adapt to "normal" (non-GM) master cylinders. However, there are apparently now a few aftermarket setups that can be bought and bolted in.

Guest gtmattz
The pilot bearing, which is the slave cylinder, is a bit of a chore to adapt to "normal" (non-GM) master cylinders. However, there are apparently now a few aftermarket setups that can be bought and bolted in.

the pilot bearing is NOT the slave cylinder, it is "The bushing or bearing that supports the forward end of the transmission input shaft" http://www.oneleft.net/Automtive_Definitions_And_Definitions_For_Automotive_Parts_M_R.htm

just thought I would note that.

the pilot bearing is NOT the slave cylinder, it is "The bushing or bearing that supports the forward end of the transmission input shaft"

I read right past "pilot bearing" and presumed he meant throw-out bearing.

On the LS1 T56, the throw-out bearing is the slave cylinder (hydraulic throw-out). It is a point of difficulty that must be considered when installing the T56 vs. the A4, which is what we're discussing here. The pilot bearing has no bearing on the discussion in this thread, which is why I presumed that Mark merely mis-typed (and I then of course I re-mis-typed).

But I thank you for your notation.