HybridZ

twin turbo V-8 Z?

I truely know little to nothing about putting a V-8 in a Z. I visit this site often and I try to read as much as I can. With that said, I haven't seen anyone attempt to place a TT V-8 in a Z. Why is that? Is there not enough room? Is it not pratical? Hopefully with luck and time I will be able to join the rank of a Hybrid Z'er. But for right now, I just finished my 88 300 zx n/a. And already I am looking for more power.

With that said. I hope I am not asking one of those questions were someone says "do a search".

Thanks for your time.

Is there not enough room? Is it not pratical?

I was able to fit a Twin Turbo 383 Chevy into my 72 Z. It required some planning and custom exhaust manifolds to fit everything into the engine compartment without cutting into fenderwells or using a hood scoop.

It drives like a normal v8 Z on the street until I punch it. Then its not practical but much fun. :-D

Hanns

Hanns, well long story short I wanted to use a real nice pair of 1.75 primary custom turbo headers I bought off ebay. I thought they would work, but when I was able to physicly match them with the car they turned out to be too wide and interfered with the strut towers. I was going to try and make an adapter until I found out how much header flanges were (I would have needed two sets). But even if I did make the adapters the tubes would have been too close to everything anyway.

So im going to do something like you did. I haven`t decided if im going to use 2.5 or 3" square tubing. Probably 3" Because I don`t have the same concerns as you did about the engine compartment paint.

Oh very nice car by the way I was very impressed!!!

Im using DSM Garret T25`s off of the 2nd gen Eclipse. Too start out with then upgrade from there. They flow 350CFM apeice =700CFM combined and according to a Grandnational site mathmatical formula I need 685Cfm for my 400sbc.

Mark

So im going to do something like you did. I haven`t decided if im going to use 2.5 or 3" square tubing. Probably 3" Because I don`t have the same concerns as you did about the engine compartment paint.

Mark,

Thanks for the comments. You might check with silicone boy because he is making some nice prototype manifolds out of LT1 castings.

The turbos you selected sound like they will spool up right off idle. Your rear tires wont have a chance.

Hanns

I decided to go turbo' date=' miester what turbo is the best for top end ? say 3500-4000 rpm and up? Is a turbo very hard to install on an lt1z? Also what is the price range for a turbo setup if all exhuast is done by me?

Chad[/quote']

Chad,

The larger the Turbine-Housing & Compressor the better it will flow and produce power on the top end. But will you use 1 or 2 turbos; it makes a difference. The downside for a big turbo is "lag". You wont like the slow response but it will scream on the top end. My turbos are so large that I dont even use wastegates because they only generate a max of 15 psi. But they were given to me by a friend.

The LT1 front plenum entry looks good for flow purposes so long as the pressurized air is not restricted by overly tight plenum entry bends. Spend much time planning your installation and it will be less difficult.

Mild steel tubing is cheap but stainless steel is expensive. My Z's TT exhaust manifolds and downpipes, including flanges, cost about $100 in Materials. The labor to weld up the system cost $600 more. I received an estimate from one company for just Stainless Steel turbo headers for $2600. Thats why mine are simple and mild steel. :lol:

Hanns

The turbos you selected sound like they will spool up right off idle. Your rear tires wont have a chance.

Hanns

Your right they will!!! 8) The thing will definetly be a tourqe monster. Although im only planning to run about 6 or 7 psi because of my 9.5 compression. Im also planning, though maybe not right off the bat using the matching intercoolers for the turbos. I have one just need to get another. Im not looking for huge power but more of an understanding of the system. The car already runs 12.2 @ 111 in the 1/4 with a basicly stock 400ci. It has 11`s in it easy with some more tuning but i`ll back that statment up next month when the track opens up! :D

Mark

It sounds like you will have one sick setup. I just have to ask why

Why???.....Becaulse it`s there :D No acually a friend at work has a 95 Eclipse that`s just sick!!! It pulls ever bit as hard as my datsun on LOW boost and if he was ever able to hook up it would be easy 11`s and the kicker is his motor is bone stock. At the time I drove it he have a front mount with a 16g turbo. Now he upgraded to the Big 16g turbo his top end is just :twisted: Sick,sick,sick.. bone stock motor..Sick.

And im burned out with the tradition hotrodding and want to learn something different and current. Which I might add is how this datsun kick got started :-D

What kind of setup do you have for your rear end? I'm worried about whether mine will survive.

Im running a r200 W/3.90 and 280zxt shafts. I also have a r200 W/3.56 that will prob. be better for the turbo setup.

I think the rear will be just fine. The way my car is setup, rear breakage won`t be an issue at the track. Because my best times were walking it out on drag radials and launching that way there`s no load on the rear. My best 60' is 1.7 with the majority being 1.8`s. I have slicks but haven`t been able to try them yet. I should also mention that stalling it up and hammering it out of the hole netted the same results even a little slower.

Mark