HybridZ

coolant sensor question?

Guest lamar32

Guest lamar32

How important is the coolant sensor I was looking at my car and noticed there is 2 sensors right below the thermostat. one is connected and the other is cut. my temp guage works so I assume the the other would be the coolant sensor I heard that the sensors could cause the cars to run rich but if it is completely gone what woul the outcome be also if I wanted to connect it back were does it go I don't see any lose wires hanging around. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

The coolant temperture sensor corrects the fuel curve in reference to engine temperture, you should have it connected. How does your car run?

Guest lamar32

can someone post a pic of exactly where the coolant temp sensor is if I'm talking about the right thing it located right under the t-stat.

I can't post pics right now (no camera handy!), but have a look on http://www.carfiche.com. Theere are 3 possible senders fitted to the lower thermostat housing on an EFI L series engine:

A single wire sender is used for the coolant gauge.

A 2 wire sensor is the thermotime switch.

Another 2 wire sensor is used for the EFI & is the most critical of them all.

The thermotime switch is a rather large (much bigger than the other 2) assembly and controls power to the cold start valve. If you have no cold start valve, then you will have no thermotime switch.

If the coolant sensor has the slightest corrosion on the connectors (and is plugged in :) ), you can get quite erratic fuelling; lean when cold, rich when hot, flat spots, you name it.