HybridZ

lt1 frame opinions

I am building my completly custom v8z with a lt1 with turbo or blower, The thing is i hate unibody so i think im going to follow the steps of http://www.fastassdatsun.com Except i wanted to get your guy`s input on instead of 2 main frame rails like they are doing, a full tube chassis, similar to a grand american modified or nascar. I could cut the shell then build the tube chassis and weld the body to it. Then i could run a straight axle with 4 link suspension and it be bullet proof. what do you all think?

Chad

You might want to sift through the archives for threads about unibody. There was a really good discussion about the topic not too long ago.

With all respects to the guys you mentioned (I wish I could build something like that), unibody has several very distinct advantages over a frame chassis. You can get quite a bit more stiffness with less weight if you make the body panels a structrural, load bearing part rather than just dead weight tacked onto a tube chassis. The one comment I remember from the previous posts is "think pickup truck". Also think about how airplanes are built. It is more work to get right, but when properly designed every part of the unibody will contribute to chassis stiffness.

Also this is just my personal opinion, but if you want a full chassis with a solid rear axle, then get an old Chevelle or Chevy II and trick it out. It seems like such a shame to lose the IRS of a Z.

Just an opinion, and admittedly not a very popular one.