HybridZ

L24E vs L28 Cam profiles

Guest vodkaboy

Guest vodkaboy

My '77 Z's head and EFI is kinda geting old (160K miles, all original lifters, valves, cam, seals and gasgets, etc, not to mention some leaking fuel injectors, and i believe a broken thermotime sensor), but the '79 810 i recently came accross has an almost brand new head (new cam, new lifters, new gasgets and seals, new injectors, new ECU, new AFM, etc) with less than 8k miles on it... i am thinking about swaping heads, manafolds, and EFI straight accross (yes, i know the '79 AFM wont work with my '77 ECU, which is why im also swapping the '79 ECU accross), but im not sure about the cam profile on the L24E vs the L28, because i dont want a more mild cam to be swapped over, and thus rob me of power... if they are the same (or, if by some fluke, the 810 has a more aggressive cam than the Z), i want to just swap them straight accross... so... whats everyone got to say about this? good idea/bad idea? why/why not? anything i should consider doing to the head while its off (mill, valve job, port polish, etc)?

Guest vodkaboy
Get out your digital calipers and measure the base circle on each cam lobe and then measure the maximum diamter at the highest lobe lift. Do some math and you should be ale to figure out if there are any lift differences.

i figured i would have to do that, although i was hoping someone would know right off the top of their head...

oh well, off to work on my dead slave cyl first :mad:

• 2 weeks later...