HybridZ

LS1 veterans...Please Help!!!

Guest FATEV12

Guest FATEV12

fellas,

I will be pulling an LS1 T56 drivetrain from a 2000 Camaro SS very soon. Can you LS1 veterans be so kind to tell me what parts will be valuable from the Camaro to be use for my early 260z conversion? other than the engine and trans? :D Any kind suggestion will be appreciated :-D

Mike

Depends on what you accually want to do with the car. I dont know what state you are in and that can be a factor also. I live in Cali and smog laws made me do the whole smog OBDII swap. If you dont care about being legal or aren't required then you dont need very much at all.

If you are in a smog reqirement area this is what i would take....your lucky i had to search for my stuff

-Air Pump

-Both CATS with 4 O2 sensors (be carfull O2's are easy to break dont drop them)

-Fuel Tank (With all EVAP equipment...I believe it is all with the tank 2000+)

-BCM unless you are going to build a VATS Module

-PCM with wire harness and inline connectors for fuel tank and BCM Connectors

-Control Box 1 & 2 (relays with fueses for fan control and other options--you may need only one)

Other things you may need

-GM Service Manual if you are going to use the original harness

I used a tarus fan and a griffin radiator so i dont know if those will fit but thats all i can think of right now...i will leave other info if i forgot something..

Good luck

Briguy280z

Guest FATEV12

thanks Briguy280z,

I'm from San Jose, not too far from you. My car is already smog exempt since last year so I will not have to worry about emission. I'm writing your suggestions down on my shopping list....

I would also get the radiator cooling fans & shroud. It will allow you to just recore your Z radiator to 4 rows, trim the shroud a bit and bolt it to the radiator which will be bolted to the stock mounts. Then just plug the power leads into the LS1 harness and you're in business.

If you want, you could also run a 280Z fuel tank which is designed for fuel injection and then you can use a stock level sender and your stock fuel gauge.

Be sure to keep your Z engine temperature and oil pressure senders if you intend to keep the stock gauges.

Other than that - engine, transmission, driveshaft, wiring harness with OBD II connector, cats & O2 sensors & ECM.

Check http://www.johnscars.com if you haven't already for components for the LS1 swap.

You could do as myself and others and use the Camaro fuel tank. You have to remove the spare tire well and fab some mounts, but it's a nice big, plastic tank. The advantage is that the pump and regulator are in the tank and you can save some time and money with the fuel system and wiring. An aftermarket pump and FPR will run betw. $200 and $500. There are issues with the guage - however if you use an aftermarket gauge, I have a simple solution (detailed on my website).

I would get the shifter also. And as many relay/fuse panels as you can. May as well get the OBDII connector.

Jeromio used the same gas tank as i did but i didn't take out the rear tire. One thing that Jeromio's had that mine didnt was a fuel pressure regulator....if it doesn't have a regulator AC Delco makes a regulator/ filter that works fine. Mine hangs down about 4 inches lower than his but the rear differenial is still lower than my tank. I figued if the diff didnt hit the tank wont eather. lil more noticable from the rear. I used the straps from the camaro and brased & rivited the ends of the Zcar straps so i could used the same mounting method. Put allot of padding and points to tighten down to so that it didnt crush my evap canister. Its been awile but i built a circuit for the fuel gauge to convert the computer signal to the gauge. It works very well but i did some changes from the site....i just got to sit down and draw it out again.

Check out a Cyrus post...he had a presmog z 71 i believe also and he had some problems with california smog laws, i dont remember what but you might want to check it out....I think if you swap it and keep it on the down-low you should be fine....FYI

Briguy280z

Guest FATEV12

thanks for all your feedbacks guys. I'll be pulling the drivetrain this coming weekend. Oohhh what an exciting weekend it's going to be! I'll be dead broke after, but oh well. :cry: Do you guys think $3500 is too much for an LS1 drivetrain??