HybridZ

Problems, issues with the R200 LSD?

Danno74Z

Question for all you R200 LSD users. I know some HybridZ users are using the R200 LSD. Has anyone destroyed one yet? What problem have you had with it and what HP are you putting through it?

What do you think is the upper limit on HP through it?

Thanks,

Danno74Z

well, I just purchased one and as soon as I get pistons get made, I'm looking to put 450 through it...I've heard of others going higher yet, but I'm not sure at what point the clutches in the diff wouldn't want to hold tho. I too am interested in anyones experiences.

James

Hey Z-Gad,

Are you breaking 280ZX CV shafts with Modern Motorsport's adapters?

I'm converting my R200 LSD over to the CV shafts and am hoping they are stronger than the u-joint half shafts. With the original half shafts I've run a 2.0 60ft without breakage, but I think I'm on borrowed time.

Well, I didn't dyno the car before I went from the hybrid turbo to the T-66, but I was able to cut a few 1.8x and even 1 1.79 60' with the hybrid turbo. At 19 psi w/ the T-66, it made 412 lb/ft of torque and started breaking the driver's side axle. Anyway, I am not using Ross's adaptors, but a custom axle for the viscous LSD unit utilizing the outer 280zxt CV housing and the 280zxt companion flanges. It is the outer CV housing (or cage) that I have broken twice now. It has just exploded off the line... It may be that the tripod sits further to the inboard side of the cage (weaker area toward the diff) with these custom shafts, and that is why it is busting on me...

Z-Gad,

What type of differential do you have? Maybe I'm confussed. I asked about the R200 LSD that has a clutch pack in it NOT the viscous unit that you alluded to in your post. So not to confuse people, I'm only interested in the R200 LSD unit with the clutch pack and the HP IT can handle. If you do have the R200 LSD please write away - thanks for understanding!!!!! :wink:

Danno74Z

Danno,

I am running a r200 LSD 3.70 with spicer half shafts and have yet to break mine. I am running Brute Force spicers. My 240z is a 1971 383 sbc with 700r4 combo.

I am not sure what kind of power I am putting down but turned 11.30 at 121 mph for the 1/4.

Mike