HybridZ

Rare sighting...no camera

Chaparral2f

My wife an I went to local rod and custom show. Outside the building was a D-type Jag. Owner said there were only 75 in existance. i offered to buy it but the guy wouldn't take a personal check on the Bank Of Bagdad :-D The owner also said he has an Allard. Must be nice to be rich.

I didn't think they even made 75 of them. Beautiful car. Too bad it's associated with one of the worst disasters in racing history at LeMans in '55.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to brag. Got a ride in an Allard about 5 years ago at Road America. What a blast, almost like a motorcylce. Caddy V8 on straight pipes. I beleive it was Lowell Blossom's, he owns a dealership in Indy. Also has a 1971 McLaren M8F, must be nice being rich!

Too COOL! That would be a sweet experience. Those care are the epidomy of style, IMO.

I wish I had a camera in my wrist watch, could post a pic of the mid 80's caprice w/ a pickup truck bed instead of a trunk. Had bed rails and everything. He wouldn't give ME a ride, some of those rich guys are just snobbs. :D

Guest bastaad525

man what I'd REALLY like to see is a Jag XJ220... man that car was made in like the 80's but it's styling is timeless (except maybe the rear tail panel) and it looks every bit as current as the newest supercars, and is every bit as potent. I forget the numbers but I know they are SUPER rare as well.

Any of you guys ever get lucky enough to see one of these first hand? They didn't even have one at this Jag exibit going on at the auto museum down in San Diego, which surprised me, as there were over 100 cars there.

Guest Aaron
Too bad it's associated with one of the worst disasters in racing history at LeMans in '55.

I'm not up on my LeMans history, could someone explain?

what I'd REALLY like to see is a Jag XJ220, Any of you guys ever get lucky enough to see one of these first hand?

Beleive it or not, I got to see a XJR-15 in action, again at RA. The coolest part was watching Dave Dutko in his GT2 280 duke it out lap after lap with that car. Every time they came around the leader would swap. Unfortunately at the end, the Jag was ahead.

I'm not up on my LeMans history, could someone explain?

Here's an exerpt from http://www.distant.ca/UselessFacts/fact.asp?ID=200

On June 11, 1955 during the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France a tragic accident occurred on the front straight involving Pierre Levegh and Mike Hawthorn. Levegh's Mercedes was destroyed, killing him instantly. The engine and other pieces of his car were flung over the barrier into the crowd and killed 83 spectators. Though the race continued, Mercedes withdrew their other two cars.

The crash was one of the worst disasters in motorsport history and has changed the sport to this day. After the race France had a temporary moratorium on racing and races around the world were cancelled. Switzerland permanently banned racing and the sport has never been re-established there. Near the end of the 1955 racing season Mercedes shut down all of it's racing operations.

Metro' date='

That's the one. where are you at? I'm in Eagle Point. The owner says that he will have it back at the show next year.

joe[/quote']

I'm in little ol Rogue River, small world huh? 8)

Oh and I heard the owner say it wasn't a numbered car or something to that effect, so he doesn't know if it has any history.

I saw some of the last XJ220's. A restoration company on the west side of Toronto bought the last 8 of them I think...They were all in one place...all were sold and waiting delivery..One was Nicolas Cage's there is a ttv6 in them.

this place was awsome.. I can't recall the name of the place. our car club got a chance to tour the place as a favour to one of our members..

Its a place where you take your car for a 100K$ resto. they can restore even one off cars. they are the extreme of resto shops.. they can even build cranks, pistons, blocks, anything they need IN HOUSE!! Quite a place indeed. There were some very wicked super rare ferrari's etc there..