HybridZ

Anybody have any experience with City Motors?

As far as I know, they are only located in Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and couple of other places), but I was wondering if any of you have done business with them before, and if so, did everything turn out okay? I just found out that the bottom end is ruined on my 350, and I will either need to bore it out or get a new block, and City Motors sells a remanufactured short block assembly (includes pistons, rings, balanced crank, bearings, oil pump, and gaskets) for just under $400 (with core), which seems very reasonable to me.

Anyways, if anybody has had any experience or would know a good place to turn to, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Ron BOLIN

hey zeeboost,i had a short block exchange with them about 10 years ago in dallas and i asked for a .010-.010 on the crank and .040 over on the bore. they gave me 40 over on the bore but the crank was 10 and the bearings were standard. i always thought my oil pressure was a little low but did not investigate. it ran good sounded good. couple thousand miles into it it let go at 6200 rpm. it spun one bearing and it wasnt pretty.not to mention i was losing by a car length. i took the engine apart and checked the bottom end to find out the bearings did not match the crank.this may have been an isolated problem.dont make the mistake i did. check the clearance on your crank no matter who you use. by the way were is yorktown from garland/dallas?i also own a 82 280zx.

Yorktown is about 50 miles south of San Antonio.

Your story is a bit discouraging, but I will not want them to bore the block out or modify the crank in any way, so hopefully as long as it's all stock they won't be able to screw it up. If I get a new bottom end with them, it will cost me a bit over $400. If I do it myself it will cost:

$250 to bore the block

$300-400 for pistons

plus an additional $500-800 for the crank, rings, rods, etc.

So it sounds like if I do it through City Motors, it would save me a ton of money, but then again, if the engine's just going to crop out on me in a few months, then it won't be worth it. Damn, I just don't know what to do. Thanks for the info, though.