HybridZ

How to waste finite resources on 280ZXT intermittent stall?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I've been around this site a couple of times trying to get some chat on what could be causing my Z to restart like hell after it has warmed up, been shut down and restarted 20 mins or so later=stalls, sounds like misfire, lumpy idle (way low-1,000rpm?!), all of which goes away if I push the pedal down for a min., but especially when I drive off and try to ignore the power delivery delays.

Two updates: 1) I replaced all injectors, hoping that one deemed leaky was the culprit, but no dice!

2) I have confirmed repeatedly by restarting it with the hood down versus kept up over a 20"layover, and I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that with the hood up, there's no restart problem!!!!

This is not in keeping with folks telling me it's the fuel filters, ignition, afm, etc, unless I am mistaken-and I am indeed an average idiot, not even able to understand mods like my intercooler perhaps still having something to do with having exacerbated this symptomatology (problem was somewhat noticeable prior to I/C, but is much worse after I/C put in).

SO, rather than rant forever, I have three choices for the kind of help to engage, maybe once more before I decide to just give up...

1. Go to Team Nissan-NH, 60 miles from me! and use the local racing shop's (Avalon racing) recommended factory tech, George for evaluation of ECU "consult", and hope he isn't completely ready to point the finger at the intercooler mods!

2. Go to any number of race shops which may have varying degrees of interest in fixing problems before selling product, but certainly won't have much interest in working in tandem with Nissan support from a dealer if it is a stock component issue.

3. Go to Maryland for a mechanic specializing in old Z's, who may not have much interest/experience in aftermarket equipment..I've got friends in that area of the country, but this is a desperate, 8 hour drive! I've not heard of anyone similarly experienced in NY, NJ, PA and N.E!!!

4. Move to CA or TX where most of the brainpower and hands on folks seem to reside :roll: !! Not likely, but would be an interesting trip!

I've no doubt this problem will worsen as weather warms, but I really don't know how to avoid throwing endless amounts of tech time and money on the 3 choices above...who's help would you choose, assuming for a minute you know nothing and can't do much yourself to diagnose/treat it?!

Thanks

John

Guest jjohart

Well let us know if it works, Brad, as my Z is in the most credible Nissan shop where the manager of 19yrs experience told me he could run through $500 of my money and not have a clue where to go with this!

I've got to find ways to live with it as is, so I'm likely to try to rewire my injector fans to come on sooner/lower temp, and the other little trick might be to raise the idle!

Cheers

John