HybridZ

SBC 350 Harmonic balancer - please help!!!!

When I removed the correct diameter balancer req'd per the JTR manual (less then 7.25 inches), it came apart in three pieces. The outer metal disc with drilled holes got seperated from the inner solid disc, with the rubber gasket which was between the two apparently. Now I have 3 pieces I can't put back together.

What have I done wrong? How do I put it back together?

I have to put it on my built motor now (also a 350) and am totally lost on how to do it... everything is ready...except this one little piece driving me insane!

I tried beating the piece back into "one", but had no luck at all..

my questions are:

1.how do I assemble it again??

2. how do I install it? What tools what you recomend?

thanks for any help.

Umm... You don't re-assemble it, you replace it. It's broken. The rubber damping material probably came unbonded from the metal. Happened to me on my '78 El Camino. Got a replacement from the JY and it worked fine. Summit also has some good ones that are fairly cheap, if you're looking to upgrade from stock.

Don't install it with a hammer or with the bolt, there is a tool that you can borrow at autozone that is specifically for installing harmonic balancers.

Good luck!

Bill

Do what the other guys said and be sure you get the correct tool for installing it! If you beat it on with hammer and wood block you will reck your thrust bearing for the crank! Dont take a short cut on this one.(not saying that you would but I have seen to many guys beat the balancer on)

Guy