HybridZ

240SX AUTO TRANS SWAP INTO A 77 / 280Z

280zrice

i've searched the archives and have found no information on a transmission swap. i am puting together a'77 280z for my daughter and it has a 5spd , i want to switch to an automatic, i hear alot of stuff about a 240,5spd swap. i'm wondering if the 240sx automatic will fit on the back of the l28?? any inf from the group is greatly appreciated, the upgrades i haVE DONE ARE VERY MINIMAL/ 60MM TB,240SX REAR CALIPERS , 240SX CABLE THROTTLE,FUEL RAIL,95 MAXIMA ALTERNATOR AND LED LIGHTING IN THE INTERIOR.

THANKS

Pretty sure that the KA series transmission won't bolt up to an L series. Look at the Maxima - up to 1984. They had OD autoboxes with an L24. Probably pretty cheap. 4N71L is the model number (off the top of my head). Thats the one with a lock-up Tq converter. Good luck.

Doug

Hey Mike - Just trying to recommend a bolt-in solution. The SX autobox probably wouldn't like sitting in there on an angle and who knows about the flexplate/Tq converter matchup. There is no adapter for the SX manual tranny - Troy is just machining the bearing bores of an L series tranny front case and sliding the guts and rear case of an SX tranny into it. You can do the same with Z31 n/a 5 spds F5W71C. I have an 88 Z31 turbo tranny - internally the same as Z32 n/a and TT and R32 skyline that I am going to do the same thing with to put it into my 71 ZT.

Cheers- Doug